Friday, April 3, 2015

Chequers, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail (TTDI), Kuala Lumpur

Address:
153, Jalan Aminuddin Baki,
Taman Tun Dr. Ismail 60000, Kuala Lumpur

Opening Hours:
Mon-Thurs: 10am-11pm 
Fri: 10am-12am
Sat: 9am-10am 
Sun: 9am-11pm

Time Visited:
7:30pm, Sunday evening.

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Shroom Fiesta and a Flat White.
After being out the whole day eating and drinking away, I went home for awhile to rest up before heading out to dinner. Although this is a place where I may be going in the next couple of days and I can try it then, I chose to visit it tonight on a Sunday evening.

The weather started off to thunderstorm and it looks as if it's not letting up but I'm not gonna be deterred by the storm and so I started off from my place to head over to TTDI. As I approached my car and drove off my parking bay, the thunderstorm had receded to a normal rain. By the time I reached TTDI, the rain had subsided to drizzles.

I entered the facility and were surprised with the amount of people there to dine at Chequers. Oftentimes, during my work that brought me to TTDI, I would usually pass by Chequers but there just don't seem to be a lunch crowd at all. In fact, it usually looks pretty bare and I admittedly too am turned off from consuming my food there for lunch. Then again, I wouldn't blame the working crowd at TTDI for avoiding that place. After all, it's an office area where the salary is low and there's plenty of cheap and good food within the area such as the Wan Tan Mee at the hawker stall of Restoran OK. But for nighttime, it's a whole different ballgame because the hawker stalls aren't opened at night and it's only reduced to "dai chow" or those pubs and bistros.

So there I was at Chequers sitting way at the back corner where it's just in front of the kitchen door because it's either the outdoor area or occupy one of those tables meant for 4-6 people. I call it, the "Chef's table". LOL. Although not greeted a welcome, I was, however, greeted with a warmth smile from one of the wait staff. As I sat at the table I chose, the menu quickly appeared in front of me. It's amusing to see a title section called "I am Hungry" which features savory dishes in that section available from 11:30am-3pm and 6pm till late. I selected the first thing on the menu to go with the Flat White I ordered which is the Shroom Fiesta.

The Flat White didn't take long to come and one sip of it indicates to me a very strong bitter tone to it but somehow isn't really the kind of coffee that I like. The Barista is obviously skillful judging from the way he poured the coffee and milk onto the cup as I observed him from a distance (also from the looks of the coffee art). Unfortunately, they use Magnolia Full Cream milk instead of Farmhouse (understandable since Farmhouse Full Cream milk has increased their price tremendously) which I feel that it don't fit with the beans profile since Magnolia Full Cream milk although may be the next best to Farmhouse, it just isn't as rich and smooth as how Farmhouse milk can produce. Anyway, the coffee's good but I much prefer the coffee at Artisan Roast Coffee which is just a short walk away from here.

Next came the intriguing dish of a savory vegetarian waffle. It took some time to prepare and the chef prepared 3 of it at one go for the other patrons who ordered it too saving him the cooking time.

It's quite unusual for me to order a vegetarian dish since I'm very pro meat and I seldom take vegetables but this time I thought, "What the heck. Let's give it a try!"

The Shroom Fiesta is a spinach waffle with grilled portobello mushrooms, glazed cherry tomatoes, rocket leaves and shaved parmesan cheese on top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar at strategic places. The grilled portobello mushrooms were not surprisingly good but what's interesting was that it's taste intermingles well with the rest of the combination without being too overpowering. You taste it's very strong taste when you eat it on it's own but when you pick it up with other ingredients, surprisingly, the just blends into it and doesn't come on too strongly. The parmesan cheese somehow just clumps at the top and even though you pick up strands of it and combine with the rest, it leaves very little cheese taste to it. Hence, the purpose of the cheese being there didn't really do anything at all. They should've lightly melted it onto some of the rocket leaves to provide a gooey effect instead of just sitting on top doing nothing and exhibiting no taste. Surprisingly, I'm loving the rocket leaves which isn't bitter at all and the spinach waffle was sensational as well, leaving pockets of sweetness in between bites. The olive oil with balsamic vinegar were placed cleverly whereupon cutting up the waffle and grabbing some of the ingredients with it, you would somehow apply some of the salad dressing with it which enhances this creative harmony.
All in all, despite me being a very staunch meat eater and a person who seldom eats his vegetables somehow am transformed into loving this masterpiece. If there's ever a dish that converts me into loving vegetables, this would be it.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM31.90. All ready for the GST with their GST number displayed. But there's still no 6% government tax being charged. There is however, their 10% service charge.

Final Verdict:
8/10. I like their coffee, I love their good service and I certainly enjoyed their vegetable waffle. I'm not sure whether they have the same team during the day. I highly doubt they do. So if that's the case, the coffee, food and service may differ during that period.

0 comments:

Post a Comment