Sunday, September 11, 2016

Restoran Hakim, Seksyen 7, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia

Address:
Jalan Kristal J7/J (Seksyen 7)
40000 Shah Alam, Selangor
Malaysia


Opening Hours:
Daily, 24 hours.

Time Visited:
12:45pm, Sunday. Hot hot afternoon

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Nasi Kandar with Hakim Fried Chicken
For Nasi Kandar, I have never ventured beyond Pelita and Nasi Kandar Penang but this time around, I made a special visit to Restoran Hakim to try out the Nasi Kandar there. Kinda sick of hipsterish cafe food. Besides, I'm not a popular fellow and visiting cafes on my own will probably just bring down the value of the cafes with my presence alone. LOL.

What is Nasi Kandar? Nasi Kandar is steamed rice usually with mixed curries and ingredients of your choice that's displayed around the stall. Is a dish that seems to be started from Penang and now everywhere around, it exists. It's a mamak dish or Indian Muslim.

Restoran Hakim used to be from the same part of Shah Alam, Seksyen 7 but has since moved to a very big location where it prominently can be seen from afar now. I'm not sure whether the old place still exist because I saw something called Restoran Hakim lama. Anyway, for this current location, it's huge! Possessing a corner lot, it seems to be as if they've taken over the whole building at the corner. When I arrived, there were plenty of people flocking into the place to get their lunch. Already for the Nasi Kandar, there's people lying up awaiting their turn to sink their teeth into their afternoon meal. I got to my turned quite fast and having a quick lookaround, I saw how their system seems to work. There's 2 person behind the counter that's serving the Nasi Kandar. First, you get to the person where he will have your plate of rice ready and will scoop whatever ingredient you prefer to have with your rice. I chose their fried chicken which they famously named it as Hakim Fried Chicken. Before I got to the fried chicken, I was asked whether I wanted vegetables with my rice and I said yes. Naturally, this will be the cabbage that's fried till yellowish contains a little bit of carrot for some places, some mustard seeds and in this restaurant, there's green chili in it. Once you've picked sufficiently for yourself, the guy will set the plate and hand it over to the next guy. This 2nd guy will then mix all the curries for you and will write down the price on a chit of paper to indicate the price for you to pay later at the cashier once you've finished eating.

Their fried chicken is juicy red and compared to Pelita, it's definitely bigger and of normal size. Pelita's fried chicken is way small but it's more tastier than Hakim's Fried Chicken. Although it may not contain some spice flavor in it and it's rather plain compared to Pelita, Hakim's fried chicken is still nice enough to eat on it's own. It's not dry and juicy enough but minus the oiliness and fat. Their chicken is nice and full of meat and it's a lot more cheaper than Pelita too. No wonder people tend to flock here to eat their fried chicken. Their mixed curry that goes with the rice is well addictive and just as good as Pelita's though Pelita has a slight edge due to one of their sweet curry that always gives me the addictive factor. This too is good and well addictive and will surely get me craving for it again one time or another but it's just not as nice as Pelita's.

If Pelita were to go head to head with this Restoran Hakim's Nasi Kandar with fried chicken, I would say Restoran Hakim would win due to their cheap price and their big piece of chicken even though Pelita tasted slightly better. But for that price, I would say it's just not worth as how they priced it.

I heard that their Cheese Naan is good too and one day I might wanna try it but I guess it will have to be nighttime. Since Naan are usually served in the night at Mamak stalls.

Total Wallet Damage:
Though no one can definitely beat Anuar's Fish Head Curry Rice with fried chicken price, Restoran Hakim can be considered quite cheap as well and well worth the price. My plate of Nasi Kandar that consists of one juicy, succulent fried chicken costs only RM6.90. Cheap.

Final Verdict:
7/10. It is definitely one of the place to go for lunch if you want a cheap and good meal if ambiance is not a factor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment