Thursday, October 22, 2015

Monte's Restaurant & Wine Bar, Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC), Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur (KL)

Address:
Lot F112, Level 1, Bangsar Shopping Centre, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar, 59000 Kuala Lumpur

Opening Hours:
Daily, 11am - 11pm

Time Visited:
7:30pm on the dot on a Sunday night.

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Just the Ribeye Steak
After a very long nap in the afternoon (I was really tired), I decided to head to Monte's for some steak action.

Monte's is located in Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC) which is a not so out of the way location for me to head to on a Sunday since there'll be no traffic jam heading there. What's more is that at night, I can just park along the residential areas instead of the stupidly expensive parking of BSC.

So there I was at this posh looking restaurant named Monte's (hell, all of BSC outlets look posh. Even the Chilis) and I requested for a table of one which the person who approached me at the entrance sat me down. I then proceeded to look at the menu. It didn't take me long to know what I wanted since I preempted by looking over their website before heading over and ordered the Ribeye Steak to consume. But before that, I was earlier approached by the manager too soon and so I said that I wasn't ready to order. He said that he'll bring me a glass of warm water as I decide.

Herein lies the problem. I know the restaurant is a pricey restaurant given the romantic ambiance and it serving great steaks and dishes that would categorize it into the fine-dining arena, but here they just casually bring you a glass of water when you are seated. Everyone is done the same. That wouldn't be a problem except that they fail to exclaim that the water isn't free. It actually costs RM1 and they never mention it to you and just casually brings it to you. On a positive note, the water is refillable. What if a patron decides to order some other beverage as well, will they still be charged for the glass of water? If so, then I would say it's not very fair to assume that everyone would want their RM1 water without being informed.

Anyway, somehow I was wise enough to not order any drinks to go with my ribeye even though I'm tempted to do so and I didn't know the water isn't free. The place was dimly lit to create a romantic atmosphere I presume. It does elevate the very vast restaurant which consists of many tables and chairs. In spite of the many tables at the restaurant, at the later part of the night as I was leaving, they did had quite a lot of customers flowing in and I can see the need for putting up so many tables ready for the dinner family crowd.

Every table is also provided with a complementary bun and a salted butter to go with it. As you can see from the picture provided, the butter that they gave is of the Bridel brand. This is one that I have never tasted before but I would gather that this isn't a cheap brand too. The bun and the salted butter was a delight to whet the appetite before the main course arrives.

The ribeye which I requested to be made medium-well came surprisingly quite fast. I was quite skeptical on how properly it's done but when I cut my first piece, I was satisfied with the results. I see that each persons platter seemed to be served a different kind of potato type with the broccoli and the carrots remaining the same. Maybe because they ordered a different cut of meat? I'm not sure if they got the ribeye as well as I compared the other table with mine. Some were served with french fries while others a jacket of potato. As for mine, it was with potato wedges. The fresh vegetable were lovely to consume with the ribeye. It made the whole dish better. The wedges were also a joy to be eaten.

As for the ribeye, I can see it being succulent and moist as I cut into it. Chewing it was a delight and it was so nice and juicy to consume. A well spent RM70. The whole of the ribeye was made with the right temperature that I ordered and that is medium well. Well, there was a very tiny part that's rarer than it should be but that was only a bite's portion. Other than that, all I can say is that the steak was a very satisfying dinner and was well worth the price.

One thing that I noted when I was comparing other tables with mine is that they were given ketchup and chili sauce to use while no one presented those bottles in front of me to have a choice on whether I want to use. That's some minus points there.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM75.25. RM70 for the ribeye steak, RM1 for the water and it contains 6% GST. No service charge which is delightful because they provided excellent service despite this.

Final Verdict:
7.5/10. I would've given it an 8 if they would've informed beforehand that the plain water incur charges and would I prefer that over other beverages. Also the fact that I wasn't presented with a ketchup and chili bottle at my table while other tables had em. But because of their very excellent service, I gave them a 7.5 instead of a 7. I don't need to ask for a water refill. They instantly notice my empty glass and immediately brought the jug over to refill my cup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment