Friday, October 2, 2015

A-Lone Diner Event Special: 1st Selangor Wellness Living Expo 2015






Headed off to Sunway Pyramid specifically for this 1st Selangor Wellness Living Expo 2015 instead of the newly launched Hello Kitty Cafe located downstairs. But I did go around at the Hello Kitty Cafe to see how many people are lining up to try it and from what I saw, it was manageable. During that time, I was there around 12pm and judging from the crowd and the space constraint along with the assumption of the turnover rate about 30 minutes to an hour for a table, I'd say if I were to line up at that moment, it would probably take me around earliest 4pm to be seated. LOL. Anyway, the interior didn't look as nice as I pictured it.

I didn't notice that this was the first Selangor wellness exhibition until I saw my goodie bag having a 1 that looks like a seven. LOL. To my surprise, I'm quite fascinated by this event. It did pique my interest even though I'm used to be known as a guy who live life on the edge and never care about taking care of my health or eat healthy. But I guess partially I was there because I know it's about high time I try to look into my health issues instead of ignoring it since it's affecting my daily living now.

Unlike other public events that I been to, this time I decided to register and obtain a goodie bag before embarking on a visual and hearing feast on what is being offered at this expo. I approached the registration counter and I didn't know what to say so the woman at the table told ask me I want to register is it? And proceeded to ask whether I have a name card. I flick out one of my old blog name card and handed over to her which she took it with wide eyes. After a momentary pause, she stated whether can they keep the card and to my puzzlement I replied affirmatively. She explained that she asked is because my name card looks expensive. LOL. Haven't garnered such a respond over my name card in such a long while due to me not blogging on my events blog anymore.

After receiving my goodie bag, I straightaway went into the hall where the Health Talks were given. The ushers were very helpful ensuring on where I wanna go and also explained to me on the layout of the place. What wasn't really that good though is that there's no signage indicating that the expo is further in if you come up from the escalator of Sunway Pyramid to the Convention Centre.

When I entered the hall where the Health Talks were given, Dr. Chong Kuoh Ren was giving his talk on the topic of Common Myths and Misconceptions in Fertility. The audience listen with a keen ear and there was a lively Q&A session at the end.

The talks then break into a 1 hour interval which I took the opportunity to look around at the exhibition hall. Seeing that this exhibition is handled by Tourism Selangor, there are about 2 booths that doesn't relate to Health and Wellness Living but more towards tourism hence the odd booths there. One would be the Tourism Selangor booth themselves which took the most prominent position of all which is directly in front of the entrance while the other is the Thai Odyssey booth where they're giving out free massages.

There were not many exhibitors there most likely due to this being the first ever such exhibition handled by Tourism Malaysia but the big popular medical facility names were there such as Pantai Hospital, Sunway Medical Centre giving out free health checks to visitors. There's also a booth that caught my eye that's having a more traditional approach and it looks like it's doing some kind of massage and relaxation therapy at their booth.

The most engaging booth to me would be the Medifoods booth where they took a proactive approach towards the expo visitors. There was this game to guess the type of beans that are in a container and the type of ingredients in another container and finally coming to a guess how much sugar is in the displayed products. After doing so, you are entitled to a lucky draw to win a prize. I also got to know that they have restaurants on their organic food and one is inside SJMC itself. Come to think about it, I vaguely remember my boss telling me about it since one of my colleague is vegan. I browsed through their menu and would like to try out their food one day.

After having a cup of coffee downstairs, I proceeded to go back to the Health Talks. During that time, Mr. Aaron Ang Aun Yuan of Mediplex was giving a talk on Principles of Healthy Cooking. This seems to have almost filled the hall out with him giving out many interesting points as if it's a cooking class and many eager to find out more when the Q&A session wasn't long enough.

The last talk that I attended before I decided to head home was by Dr. Chong Chin Kooi on the topic of Uterine Fibroid: the Most Common Benign Tumors in the Uterus. What is the Implication on Women's Health and Fertility? Dr. Chong seems to be less fluent in his speech and often hard to grasp for me on what he was saying. As he warmed up at the podium, it's easier to understand his speech which I think English may not be his main language. The topic that was presented by Dr. Chong merely touched the surface of it, a general overview on Uterine Fibroid, it's effect and treatments on it, and yet he did blurt out with a lot of medical jargons. During his talk, a quick Google on the topic revealed that although his general overview on Uterine Fibroid is informative enough and is relevant, it's not updated enough. He did say that he's not going into detail about it anyway so I guess time constraint may be the factor of omitting some info.

During Dr. Chong's lecture, I noticed some young audience among those seated had no interest at all in listening and were either sleeping, playing with their phone or just talking with their friends. I have no idea why do they even bother to be there in the first place if they're not there to listen. It's not like they're forced to sit through it or they've paid for it. It's just a free talk for interested people and yet there they are? I wouldn't say they had nothing better to do too because if they really don't, there's a shopping mall downstairs. Wouldn't it be better to have a walkaround or sit somewhere down there and chill instead of disrespecting the speaker? Kids these days. -.-

After that, I decided to head on home as I don't want to spend too much time at Sunway Pyramid or else I'll become a permanent fixture there. LOL.

0 comments:

Post a Comment