Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A-Lone Diner Event & Travel Special: The 7th Gold Ribbon Grant-A-Wish Campaign 2015 at Perdana Botanical Garden, Kuala Lumpur (KL)









I actually wanted to participate in the Grant-A-Wish campaign by being a donor but decided against it when I saw what I need to fulfill as gifts. I had a great fear in not only being a spectacle in front of people while giving my gift to the underprivileged but also a fear of getting a gift that may not fit the size of the kid or a design that the kid won't like. LOL. Sure I can appoint a representative to give my gift but you do realize I'm A-Lone Diner who don't even have people wanting to hang out with me most of the time let alone asking them to run my errands? It's a silly fear but it's one that overwhelms me incredibly. And so I mainly decided to be an observer rather than a participant.

It's held at the Perdana Botanical Garden, Kuala Lumpur which is the first time I'm hearing about this place. Looking at it's website, it got me very interested to venture around at the garden surroundings in addition to attending the event.

Saturday came and the haze was back at a very bad level. But I was so pumped up to go anyway I went ahead. Finding the entrance was like a maze but I reached near the venue and saw many of the volunteers at the front. The guy spoke to me on where to best park my car as the entry over that place they're manning are not allowed for public to drive in (that's what I gather from the little bit of Mandarin I know. LOL). I drove further down and eventually came to a parking area and so I parked there.

As I exited my car, I spotted a place to eat but the problem is it looks like some kind of lone food court kind of stall. That put me off greatly as I was imagining a cafe-like atmosphere would be ideal in this kind of location but no, there's none. And so I followed the "yellow brick road" to begin my journey into the park.

As I move in more and more, I find some nice place to had a bit of a lookaround. The entry that I went in was very deserted, nobody around, totally empty like a ghost town. Moving further in, you see some buggy parking area and some signboards from previous events that weren't cleared. I walked further in and still no signs of life till I approached the Sunken Garden. To tell you the truth, this was the only place that's the best. It's the only garden like atmosphere that looks the most beautiful out of the whole park. And it was the first stop that I encountered. LOL.

There were also many gate enclosures which sealed off some particular area and section which I have no idea why. There's totally nothing much in there anyway so it's not that intriguing to go into. I stumbled upon a map of the place and took a snapshot of it to refer to as I walk. I first went into the Herb Garden but it was a total disappointment. There's totally nothing there to see. Sure you can have a look at the different herb names there but the arrangement and landscaping of the place were almost non-existence. There's zero effort in beautifying the so-called garden.

So I walked on further in order to get to the event. I could hear distant and faint announcements and move along towards there. As I go on, I keep getting distracted to deviate to the left and to the right to see what that path there leads to. I'm quite put off by the many constructions that's ongoing at the park. It looks like they're trying to erect more things than I can see greeneries. I arrived at the boathouse and it looks very dilapidated. The condition of the jetty looks rickety and I don't remember seeing any boat docked anywhere. But I do remember seeing a river which the boat suppose to run through.

As I draw closer to the sound that's blasted through a microphone, I realized that it wasn't from the Grant-A-Wish event. It was rather from a truck making sound checks that's getting ready for an event. There's a lot of construction going on and a few small lorries unloading the goods in preparation of this other event which looks great on it's setting up of their unfinished area.

I trudge on further to go to the Grant-A-Wish foundation event and finally arrived at the lake area. Over at the lake area, there were some ducks that were swimming in the pond in flocks. I decided to head back a little as the Deer Park caught my eye. Inside the Deer Park looks a little more pleasant than the other pathetic park and the good thing about this park is that it houses some Mouse-deers. Mouse-deers are also called Chevrotain. In Malaysia, it's mostly known as Kancil. LOL. It took me a while to remember what their English names were. The mouse-deers were housed in some glass entrapment. and they're quite difficult to spot if you're just walking by. You've got to take your time in stopping at the glass cage to really peer inside since the sun light hits and reflects on the surface. Around the Deer Park, there's also other wire cages all around. Upon peering in to see what it contains, I found out that they were only roosters. Why they wanna house roosters all around is beyond me. It's not like they're endangered or anything. The deer park seems to move further up the hill which I decided not to go there after seeing from a distance that there don't seem to have much of anything interesting.

I headed back towards the lake and move towards the Grant-A-Wish campaign event. Over there, there were many people in the ROLF (Rainbow of Life Forces) T-shirts and there were people fanning furiously over the seated kids all around. They seem to be seated in groups and according to their respective orphanages and there's one smaller section giving out gives and taking photographs with the donor and the kids while a much bigger section that has a microphone with them were announcing the kids and donors name to match them up so they can go to the front to exchange hands on the gifts. I can see some musical instruments lying around but since they're still giving out gifts, I guess the buskers weren't performing yet. I grew bored of watching the gift giving ceremony after a while and felt really hot there due to the lack of wind blowing in that area and decided to head off further around the park to see. By the way, the ROLF community (which I see consists of a lot of volunteers) do this every year in addition to other kinds of charitable activities. You can check out on what's next and offer a helping hand at their home page: http://rolfcommunity.org/

As I walk around at the very huge garden (which I was actually really lost and don't really know where I am), I was determined to find that waterfall area that I saw earlier on the map. I eventually found it and it proved to be a really big disappointment. It didn't look as nice as I envisioned it. In fact, the mini-waterfall at the Deer Park looks way much better. The only good thing about this waterfall is the soothing gushing sounds of the water falling from the rocks.

Tired, hungry, thirsty and hot, I was feeling very dizzy and couldn't really walk straight after finding the waterfall. So I decided to head back to the car. But I had a huge problem. I have wandered off so much in circles that I forgot where's my car! And so I wandered aimlessly at the direction I assume would be where my car is. Along the way, I found out that the Amphitheatre was also under construction. This park is not new right? It's been here some time right? What's with all the construction going on? It's as if this place is not ready at all. I staggered around and soon found a familiar territory which I remembered passing at. I followed the trail and managed to go back to where the kids playgrounds were and luckily got back to my car.

This place dashed my hopes of a nice quiet serene park surrounded by lush greens where you can enjoy a quiet sit down time at the benches. Instead, all I found were many ongoing constructions, many unnatural items that aren't acclimated to nature, a very unappealing view of the surroundings and with the haze around, it just worsen the outdoor experience. If you ever wanna come to this place, just stay at the Sunken Garden and head on inside the Deer Garden to see a real life mouse-deer. Other than that, there's nothing appealing about this place, not even the main lake of the garden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment