Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Apartment, The Curve, Mutiara Damansara, Petaling Jaya (PJ)

Address:
Lot 72, 73 & 74
Ground Floor, Western Courtyard
(next to TGI Fridays)
The Curve Shopping Centre, No. 6, Jalan PJU 7/3,
Mutiara Damansara, 
47800 
Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Opening Hours:
Daily, 10am - 12am

Time Visited:
6:30pm. Monday night.

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Lipton Ice Lemon Tea and a Flatbread with Keftedes
School holiday is approaching and expected clear roads ahead. Not that my route is filled with traffic jams but on occasions, I do venture out of the norm in search of food to ever oh so enliven up my meaningless existence that can barely be called as life. Anyway, today was a day that I do just that by going to The Curve's The Apartment.

Though not the first time being here, it is however, the first time in trying out just dining there. On previous occasions it was all event based hence it's merely catering food from them. Those times were only marred with the scars of not so great food. But I can't expect much if it's catering because this means that they cooked in bulk which would bring down the quality of the food in comparison to preparing an individual dish.

The Apartment at The Curve situates below a bar upstairs which is connected. I approached the entrance with a Maitre D there but was totally ignored by her. With that attitude, I walked in by myself instead and sat myself down. In consolation, I was chased down by a waiter with a menu and left it with me when I had chosen my desired place.

The Apartment does offer a posh like settings but the pricing is a little under for that kind of environment. But then again, this is not exactly a fine dining restaurant but rather one that merely looks like it. Their service certainly do not reflect so. The dim lights that brighten up the surroundings barely help my now poor eyesight but I guess this sets a romantic mood. I quite enjoy the charm of the place especially with the table that I placed myself at. It was the nearest to the convection oven and one of the staff manning the pastry section was baking some cakes. Each time he opens the oven door, I get a good whiff of the cakes good smell and am happy with that odor lingering around me.

The ice lemon tea as demonstrated by the menu mentions it's the brand Lipton which means it's merely the bottled version and was confirmed by my taste buds as I started to drink it. I do applaud of their efforts in making it nicer by throwing in a slice of lemon and some white liquid at the bottom which I have no idea what that is. It may sound horrid as per my description above, but I assure you, it's probably just lemon or lime juice poured in it. It couldn't have been syrup because drinking right at the source of it produced no sweet taste whatsoever but a lime like or lemon like type of sourishness hence my conclusion albeit a very mild and subtle taste. In any case, it didn't deviate at all from the taste straight from the bottle and certainly wouldn't be much value at double it's original price even though it looks really pleasant.

The Flatbread with Keftedes took a bit of a waiting till it reached me. I was curious on what Keftedes was as this is my very first time hearing this word let alone know what kind of food it is. After doing a bit of a research, I found out that Keftedes is actually a Greek Meatball. In this version with the Flatbread, the Keftedes were depicted as Greek Spiced Lamb Meatballs. I noticed that it is incredibly tiny in it's size just like how Chinese fishballs or pork balls are. I wonder if Keftedes were supposed to be that small? I'm not sure since I've never had these before and from the picture Google provided me, it looks much bigger. Eating those meatballs didn't come out with any unique taste that I've never tasted before hence it's not really new to me. The Flatbread as usual can only produce one type of taste and the texture was how it's supposed to be but the thing that draws my attention the most is the vegetables that's put in the mix with the others. It's actually Acar Timun (Spicy Cucumber Pickles). I'm not really a fan of Acar Timun but this was okay, acceptable and I'm able to finish it off. It's interesting that they categorize this dish as a sandwich.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM31.25. Lipton Ice Lemon Tea costs RM6.90 and the Flatbread with Keftedes costs RM19.90. 10% service charge applies along with 6% GST.

Final Verdict:
6.5/10. I must admit I do like the ambiance especially getting whiffs of the cake blowing my way but I would like their service to be better. Although the lady that snubbed me at the door did thank me as I left, I'm still a bit bothered on how they seat their customers. Whilst dining, I noticed that all their customers at the front door show themselves in instead of the Maitre D asking a table for how many persons. Nonetheless, 6:30pm on a weekday at The Curve has very few people around and is clearly a time where a lone diner can easily get a place without any hassle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment