Monday, February 16, 2015

Restoran Kim Seng, Section 17, Petaling Jaya

Address:
607, Jalan 17/10,
Section 17, 
46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Opening Hours:
To tell you the truth, I don't know. LOL. But I think they open daily. Just for the mornings and afternoons, it will be individual hawker stalls while at night will be economy rice and 'dai chow' (Chinese style food prepared with wok. Basically, rice and noodles dishes prepared with meat and vegetables).
Time Visited:
7pm on a super jammed-up Friday evening. 
Attire worn:
Casual. Because I disobey office rules.
Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Chinese Tea Ice and Wat Tan Hor (Flat Noodles like Fettuccine in Egg Gravy).
Actually, I came over to my old home area to visit back one of my favorite shop in Section 17 which is opposite of Restoran Kim Seng called Restoran How Yekee. The history of the place still got me craving for their Chinese food after so many years. I don't think there's any other place in KL/PJ that I find matches the cheap and good phrase like restaurants in Section 17. Anyway, they were close. Bet it's because of Chinese New Year approaching.

I drove down the street and parked right in front of the Cybercafe I used to work in which was also closed that night. There were quite a few changes that had happened on that street. A lot of new eateries had opened up. But most do not have the charm and appeal for me to step in to try. Seeing the restaurant I wanted to visit was closed, I decided to head to Restoran Kim Seng.

I'm actually not really a fan of this restaurant simply because the staffs at the restaurant were rude and uncaring to their customers. That's why I've always preferred Restoran How Yekee where they used to have a very jovial and friendly guy manning the Dai Chow and the drinks people weren't that bad at attending to you.

Anyway, during this round, I've learnt my lesson that if you want to eat Dai Chow at Restoran Kim Seng, you have to walk up to the back to them and order unlike Restoran How Yekee where they'll come over to you with a menu in hand ready to take your order. As for the drinks guys, this time around, they were attentive to me but were far too playful. Instead of passing my change back to me like a normal person, he flips it on the table towards me instead. And he's been balancing drinks with his fingers for a lot of times when bringing the drinks to the customers. Anyway, I came here for the good food, not the service.

Restoran Kim Seng is known to give big portions on their meals. So as you can see from my picture, the Wat Tan Hor is very large in portion compared to other restaurants. However, their Wat Tan Hor lacks gravy and not like how other restaurant serves it - swimming in gravy. Nonetheless, it was very tasty and certainly very easy for me to finish off the whole thing. I can see that they're really generous with the Cili Padi as well. Loads of em on the tiny condiment dish but very little on the soy sauce.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM5.50 which to me is very cheap. 50 sen for the Chinese Tea Ice which is very standard but some places charge it for 60 sen which is an outrage. The Wat Tan Hor costs RM5 which is quite standard price but due to the amount given, it's considered cheap.

Final Verdict:
6.5/10. I may be a little bias towards Section 17 because this is where I started my KL/PJ life. Anyway, to me Section 17 is always a good place for cheap and good food and this is just one place that proves it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment