Saturday, May 23, 2015

Amarin Heavenly Thai, Mid Valley Megamall

Address:
S-045, 2nd floor, Mid Valley Megamall, Lingkaran Syed Putra, Mid Valley City, 58000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Stated at Mid Valley Megamall webpage that it is from 10am to 10pm, but when I was there at 10 plus close to 11am, they weren't opened yet hence I believe it's 12pm-10pm, daily.

Time Visited:
12:16pm, Saturday

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Khow ob Sapparod (Pineapple Fried Rice), Tab Tim Krob (Iced Waterchestnuts with Coconut Milk & Jackfruits) and Thai Lemon Grass Juice
A dimly lit restaurant that's placed in a corner of Mid Valley Megamall close to the Center Court area. They soon opened up the boards that blockade the windows to allow a bit of sunlight in since it was a cloudy day that day.

The place screams of fancy and it sure is. When I began to step into the restaurant, I was greeted by a Malay lady greeting me sawadeeka and as soon as I browse through the menu, it is pretty clear that fancy is the word that suits this restaurant. Prices are higher than your average other Thai restaurants that I know of but I don't mind it since I'm just trying it out.

For a single dish to eat without calling for meat, vegetable and rice, there were merely 6 dishes on that portion of the menu. So I ended up picking the Pineapple fried rice with chicken since I don't really like prawns. I guess, if you're eating alone, you can also call for meat, vegetable and rice for 1 person but then again, I'm not sure how big a portion they're gonna give and whether it's suitable for 1 person.

No surprises, my drink was the first to arrive at my table and upon sipping it up, I instantly get the whiff of the lemongrass. It was very fragrant, very much like perfume but bearable and upon sipping up more, I kinda get the hang of the taste. The drink wasn't too sweet too, which is a relief to me cause I can't drink too sweet anymore.

A little while longer, the pineapple fried rice came. It certainly is impressive on it's presentation, serving the rice neatly packed in a cut-out pineapple. There was a lime, a tomato and a cucumber served at the side of it where none of which were touched by me at all. LOL. The colors of the dish was vibrant full of different contrasting ingredients spread all around which contributed to the great presentation of the dish. As I took my first bite, my immediate feel was from the cashew nuts and the raisins which both ingredients are an unusual find in a meal. The cashew nuts provided a bit of a crunch for the dish while the raisins gave out some sweetness to it. However, the pineapples were nowhere to be tasted until I got closer to the middle. Being served in a pineapple this way, the portion of the rice seemed to be smaller to my perception. But I guess if you empty out onto a plate, you'll probably get the same amount from when you dine fried rice at a hawker stall. Overall, I would have to say that it's quite delicious but it still don't warrant for such a high price.

After finishing my rice, I waited for awhile before signalling for my dessert to come.

The dessert came in a small bowl which is a little bit of a disappointment. I expected it to be double that portion. I demolished the ice shavings at the center and mixed it in with the coconut milk. All in all, the dessert that I tasted was sweet upon sweet upon sweet. The ice shavings did nothing to prevent it from being so sweet. Upon finishing my dessert, my lemongrass juice tasted more like water than anything else.

Total Wallet Damage:
Surprisingly, I still managed a bill less than RM50. Total is RM49.50. Lemongrass Juice is RM10.85, dessert RM10.85 and the fried rice RM20.75. 10% service charge + 6% GST were imposed.

Final Verdict:
6/10. The service overall was good however they missed saying thanks to me. Maybe I overstayed my welcome. LOL. The ambiance made me more sleepy than hungry. You get all different kinds of people as customers here, families, friends, couples and even another lone diner besides me. Despite being on a weekend lunchtime, the place wasn't crowded and ample of place to sit and eat. I guess most would probably be put off by it's price since it's so close to the food court. Also, it's hidden at the corner where few venture upon. That could be the reason too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment