Sunday, April 3, 2016

Char Kuey Teow (Duck Egg) at Restoran New Apollos, USJ 4, Subang Jaya, Selangor

Address:
Jalan USJ 4/6b, Usj 4, Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Not sure but I suppose daily around 8am - 9pm(?)

Time Visited:
1pm. Wednesday afternoon where I'm half day.

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Char Kuey Teow. For drinks, Chinese Tea Ice.
It was some time back where my colleague decided to guide me over here to try out some of the food. She likes the Ngau Yuk Hor (Fried beef hor fun (flat noodles) with gravy) here and I've tried it too and find that it is not too bad just that the pricing isn't right for me. But when I ordered this particular Char Kuey Teow, I quite like it's taste. It may not be the best but it suited to my taste buds.

First off, let me preface by saying that their drinks are awfully expensive. The Chinese Tea Ice surmount to 70 sen which is the second kopitiam restaurant that I know of that charges that high with Sun Hin Loong, SS2 being the other one. However, on that day, I've forgotten about their high price on their drinks and accidentally ordered the Chinese Tea Ice. For a high price like this, I would usually avoid ordering at all. But the funny thing about their Chinese Tea here is that it gives of a fragrant taste that's quite unique to this place. It tasted some hints of barley in it. The first time that I ordered it, I thought that they never cleaned their cup properly but it seems to be that way each and everytime I come here to drink Chinese Tea Ice. That small amount of barley taste is consistently there without fail everytime. And so I conclude they must've added an extra ingredient to their Chinese Tea Ice. My colleague agrees with me and do taste that same strange taste in the Chinese Tea Ice everytime.

So back to the Char Kuey Teow. Usually when I'm there, there's not many people ordering yet because I tend to be early but on this day, I was particularly later than usual due to me being half day off and so I could take my time coming here. On this day, not only there were quite a number of orders for his food (which didn't deter much on the waiting time) but somehow there's an old lady serving the food which on this particular day it's my first time seeing. Usually, he just do the serving. But due to the lady not knowing who ordered and who came first, she took my plate of noodles on a journey around the restaurant before it finally landed on my table. Despite that, it's still quite warm in the temperature department. Just that on this day, the Char Kuey Teow just didn't seem to be on par of how it used to be. It's consistency in taste throughout the whole dish was lacking. No doubt the same brilliance in the taste permeates through at certain areas but on this day it just doesn't seem that way throughout the entire dish. There's pockets of the noodles which lacks in it's taste and places that just didn't seem as nice as it's supposed too. What's more is it's Cockles were rubbery and lap cheong were lacking. But overall, it's still good enough for it's RM6 price. I'd still go back to order it. I just hope he would upkeep the consistency the next time around.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM6.70. Cheap eats at Subang Jaya...........not! RM6 for the Char Kuey Teow is decent but 70 sen for a Chinese Tea Ice? That's daylight robbery!

Final Verdict:
5/10. Well, I'm just here for the Char Kuey Teow most of the time and my colleague is just here for the Ngau Yuk Hor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment