Wednesday, April 13, 2016

WhupWhup Restaurant & Cafe, SS13, Subang Jaya, Selangor

Address:
12, Jalan SS13/3B, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Wed-Sun:
11:00 am - 10:00 pm

Time Visited:
Nearing 2:30pm on a Wednesday afternoon

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
I'll only list my portion. The Cowpenters (Fettuccine) and The Beauty and Gramps Apple Pie for dessert
DISCLAIMER: This was not a lone dining experience.

One Wednesday afternoon, I decided to take half day off for a much needed break to go gallivanting for some new places to try. Along with me, I managed to drag 2 of my friends along (because you know, I'm no longer a lifestyle blogger and so there's no food review that's free that I can invite my friends anymore. So my poor friends had to put up with me in forking out their own money just so I could get some companionship. LOL). I'm surprised that they decided to join me along but very happy that they did so. :D

So one of my friend decided that we should come here to WhupWhup in order to try out their dishes as well as their coffee. And so off we went to this place that's secretly hidden within the factory area of Subang Jaya. Being at a lot that's at the end of the road, this place used to be a factory and their yard has been turned into a parking lot. The place is huge and it reminded me of PULP by Papa Palheta because that too was a former factory turned into a cafe. But between the two, of course the ambiance here is better due to the humongous space where they can easily put tables far apart with big decorative pieces and still room for more things. They also rent out space at their outlet to showcase artworks and whatever stuff you desire should you so want to.

Scouring the menu, you'll see that they have cheeky names for everything from their main dishes to their desserts to even their coffees. What people usually call a latte, they call it The Beauty. What usually people call Hot Chocolate, they call it a Brown Cow and so on. I went for a pasta dish which is The Cowpenter. You get a choice on whether to have spaghetti pasta or the Fettuccine which of course I chose the Fettuccine. The Cowpenter is basically beef stew meat upon the pasta of your choice drizzled with olive oil for taste. There's no pasta sauce. It's mainly dry with only the olive oil as a coating for your pasta like an Aglio Olio. The plate is a plate where it slightly tips to one side on it's design which looks superb for presentation but upon finishing the pasta, you'll see a pool of oil right at the bottom. LOL. The Beef to me was nice. Fine and tender that breaks apart easily as it enters your mouth with minimal effort in chewing. As for my friend, he finds the beef lacks of salt to bring out the taste of the beef and hence it's a bit flat. To me, it's not lacking at all and it's fine. The Fettuccine may be okay on it's oil coating for taste but once I get to the bottom, due to it being concentrated right at the bottom, it's a little too much to handle when you reach there. It's mentioned in the menu that this dish contains red wine in it as well but I tasted none of it so the alcohol content is obscure, hidden away in the beef.

As for the coffee, during my time there, they were out of filter coffee and that's a little disappointing since I wanted to try out their filter coffee. But I would say their latte is not bad. Above average. The ratio was okay but the milk is not one that is strong yet it's creamy enough to give you a smooth taste. The coffee was very strong in it's caffeine taste. Somehow it's not something that I'm acclimated to but still it's good enough for me.

For the grand finale, I went with the Gramps Apple Pie which contains Gula Melaka crust. Big mistake. The crust was so hard that I almost always tip the top contents over in an effort to break the crust. I don't think any gramps would be able to bite through such a hard crust. LOL. Anyway, the taste of the pastry is okay, just that it's so hard to break! Even with a steel fork! The rest were just your typical Apple Pie ingredient which is a nice scoop of ice cream on top and apple bits as the fillings. Nothing out of the ordinary that contains a unique wow factor to it. Just a nice pie.

As mentioned before, this place is huge which gives you a very free feeling. That adds to the great ambiance and with a very good amount of sunlight piercing through the roof, it brightens up the place effortlessly. I'm liking the environment a lot.

Total Wallet Damage:
All in all including my friends food and drinks as well, it all amounted to RM94. But to break it up with just my portion, The Cowpenters costs RM22 while The Beauty (Latte) costs RM10. The Gramps Apple Pie costs RM10. No service charge nor GST.

Final Verdict:
7/10. Environment lovely. Food not bad, coffee not bad too. The only problem is the apple pie being way too hard. It didn't even have that Gula Melaka taste on the crust at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment