Saturday, June 4, 2016

Ay-Chung Flour-Rice Noodle, Ximending, Wanhua District, Taipei, Taiwan

Address:
No. 8-1, Emei St,, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108

Opening Hours:
Daily, 11am - 10:30pm

Time Visited:
Sunday, around 5:30pm

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
They only serve one thing here, the Mee Sua Noodles. Ordered the small one.
DISCLAIMER: This was not a lone dining experience.

Since I was on tour in Taiwan with my family (which they usually like following tours), the tour guide brought us to this place on top of other shops in Ximending. This was the last day of my tour and the Ximending night market was our last stop before adjourning to our hotel and departing towards the airport the next day. Up until this point, I wasn't really that impress with Taiwan food with their food tasting less stronger than in Malaysia. In fact, I felt Taiwan food in Malaysia seemed to taste better than Taiwan herself because it tastes stronger over here so you get a more fulfilling taste. That was until I tasted the Mee Sua here. This is probably the only exception that I would place on food that is worth visiting Taiwan for. The Mee Sua here is leaps and bounds better than any Mee Sua I've tried over here in Malaysia. It is kinda like the excitement I got when I discovered the tastiest crepes I've ever had resided at Langkawi.

When we arrived at the place, there was already a very long line that snakes from the shop to the opposite shoplots and bending slightly. Every second you'll see there will be someone new joining the line. But if you think you're in for a long wait due to the long line, fret not! They dispense out their food at a very quick pace and so the line moves very quickly. It didn't take long till it was down to our turn probably just about 5-10 minutes or so. You place your order at the cashier and take your receipt to take your orders at the pick up area where they prepare the food. They were so quick that it was immediate. From the moment you pay, once you just step into the area to pick up, they've already got your stuff ready!

As this is considered a street food, there's no actual table and chairs for you to sit and eat. Well, there is a seating area where there's some chairs being laid out near the side for you to sit and eat, but due to the immense crowd buying from this place, most people just stand around to eat it. Hidden at the corner near the cashier there, there's chili sauce, garlic sauce and vinegar for you to take to put it on your noodles. Adding the condiments in nicely increase the already very tasty dish.

The soup is kind of peppery on it's on and the extremely piping hot temperature of the dish increases the spicy level. But I still prefer adding in some chili into it because it will produce a kind of unique taste to it. Taiwan's chili has a sweet but spicy taste to it which taste delicious to me. The broth is of an adequate thick level and does not lack flavor. The Mee Sua is very delicate and soft where you can just slurp it up and drink it down without even the need to chew much. LOL. What I also like about this dish is that they put in pork intestine instead of oyster and the pork intestine is gummy enough but soft and easy to eat. A nice texture which I've never encountered before for pork intestine in Malaysia.

We stand on the opposite shop where Nike is to eat our food because you can feel the air-conditioning unit outside there. LOL. This helps cool down the food for consumption faster since it's very, very hot. Truly recommend anyone to eat this because in my books, this is worth visiting Taiwan to try. Unless you're like my colleague who mentioned that she didn't really find anything special about this Mee Sua and only prefer to eat Pan Mee. LOL.

Total Wallet Damage:
If I'm not mistaken, it's NTD50 ($50) for a small bowl. For conversion purpose on my visit of 2016, it's about RM6 a bowl. But for NTD50, I consider it cheap.

Final Verdict:
8/10. This was the best food I had in Taiwan, others I would say it's better in Malaysia if it's available here and for those that aren't, it's not visiting Taiwan for just to have it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment