Monday, June 20, 2016

Urban Coffee Roaster, Hong Mei Building, Tai Kok Tsui, Prince Edward, Hong Kong

Address:
135, Lai Chi Kok Road, Prince Edward, Hong Kong

Opening Hours:
Unsure since it's not listed. But I gather Daily, 10:30am - 7pm (?)

Time Visited:
11:30am, Sunday morning. Hot hot hot hot day.

Attire worn:
Casual. Like a traveler. LOL

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Big Breakfast and Flat White (hot)
Last day at Hong Kong and I barely had any time. The night before I was fresh out of breath from the amount of alcohol consumed not to mentioned still sore from a terrible leg cramp from the first night. I was lazy to move but had to check out by 12pm else the cleaner won't be able to clean up my room for the next guest. LOL. So with my bag and all, I headed off to one cafe destination before heading to the airport and I wanna make it count. I open up my app in search for some beautiful coffee and decided upon Urban Coffee Roaster.

Urban Coffee Roaster was established back in 2014 so it's relatively new and it started with 2 coffee enthusiast in Hong Kong. It's also their own coffee bean brand. There's also another outlet in Tsim Sha Tsui which looks relatively more seats to me from their pictures. Over here at the Prince Edward outlet, it's teeming with many elegant decors. Books galore on the shelves and an old looking antique record player which actually is a common modern player instead of an actual record player. There's a very big wooden appeal to it with 3 of it's staff cramming up behind the coffee bar scuttering around in performing their duties. Filled to the brim with coffee paraphernalia, they skillfully weave their magic by grinding, tamping and pressing coffee for you.

The 3 staffs gives off a very chilled and laidback vibe that easily puts me at ease with my very hurried manner. They also took their time in preparing my cup of coffee as well as my food. But then again, Hong Kong has been a place that slowly prepares their food and take pride in it to give you the best that they have. So it was quite a more than my usual time of waiting if I were to compare to Malaysian cafe standards. LOL.

The coffee was placed in a coffee paper cup to my dismay but as soon as I sip through it, the dismay dissipated away to a satisfied happy customer over his creamy Flat White. Though it may not possess the more stringent and strong coffee aroma as Flat White's in Malaysia, it still passes in my book as a Flat White. So far in my limited visits to cafes around Hong Kong, this was the best I had. Mind you, coffee in Hong Kong tend to be a lot more creamier than Malaysia. It's gotta be their milk and their frothing ways. Something which I uniquely adore on Hong Kong cafe coffees.

Next came my Big Breakfast. It certainly looks like a very huge portion with the ingredients all laid on a chopping board that's branded with their name as your eating plate. The Big Breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, mushrooms, 2 types of sausages, bacon, some salad, a tomato and a toast with baked beans. Unfortunately for me, Hong Kong food just don't have a strong enough taste for me. It just felt that they missed the salt and even that was true with the bacon. Nevertheless, it was a filling breakfast and satisfying enough to fill up my tummy.

This certainly is a nice place to have a cup of coffee with a very trendy environment. But there's limited seatings and it's all bar seats up front in the shop. There seems to be some seatings at the back past a door but I didn't investigate to find out what's beyond those doors. I headed off towards the airport in a jiffy as I'm already behind time. LOL.

Total Wallet Damage:
HK$143. $108 for the Big Breakfast and $35 for the hot Flat White. And like Malaysia, asking for ice with it costs more.

Final Verdict:
7/10. Very much in love with their coffee. Not so much on their food but then again, a lot of Hong Kong food seems to have similar flatness in taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment