Monday, January 5, 2015

ATG (Against the Grain) Cafe, Oasis Square, Ara Damansara

Address:
ATG Cafe, 1st Floor, R-13A, Jln PJU 1A/7A, Central Piazza Oasis Square, Ara Damansara, 47301 Petaling Jaya, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Opening Hours:
As of the time of writing, operating hours is still yet to be determined.
Time Visited:
1pm, a coffee break right after lunch
Attire worn:
Business
Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Latte and a Turtle Cheese Cake
During my visit towards Coffee Etc. the other time, I was walking at the Oasis Square area opposite of Tom, Dick and Harry's. That's when I saw some signage that does not belong to the pub and it says ATG. I was curious and hence went over closer to have a look. That's when I discovered that there's actually this new cafe opened up above Tom, Dick and Harry's called Against the Grain or ATG for short.

And so, I decided to pay it a visit today right after my lunch to gauge on the coffee on whether it is what I like.

Being located on the first floor, the entrance of the place is at the side of Tom, Dick and Harry's. Everything about the place was incredibly new. As I approached the upstairs area, it felt like I was transported to another world. Simply put, I enjoyed the ambiance very much kind of like a resort overlooking the sea.

There wasn't a soul in sight except for the cafe owner himself. He warmly greeted me as I entered the inner chambers which was adequately air conditioned. In his list of beverages, the unique drink that I saw was the French Kiss Latte but I didn't order that because I wanna try how is their latte first. Still feeling a little peckish from lunch, I decided to order one of their cakes as well which was the Turtle Cheese Cake. When I was there, there were only three types of cakes available and not much of coffee bean left in the grinder. I guess his anticipation of visitors is really low and realistic.

He nervously strike a conversation with me and answered my questions with uncertainties. Mains are yet to be finalized but could be out in within two weeks time. Operating hours on the cafe is also yet to be determined as currently, he's the only staff along with one other which wasn't even present during my time there.

The latte has a very overcoming bitter taste once sips were taken. But it was good when taken with the cake. Hence, to me, it's just not my type of coffee due to it's strong bitter aftertaste from it's blend.

The cheese cake were nutty and salty. Chocolate bits and chips on the top didn't fulfill any chocolatey taste to the cheese cake at all. A little disappointed with it.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM22.90. RM11 for the latte which is a slightly higher than normal price.

Final Verdict:
6/10. Food and beverage were mediocre but I love the ambiance. It has a resort feel to it when I was out on the al fresco deck with the afternoon sun beaming down. During my time there, there was not a single person that I saw came to the cafe. It had really good sound system and during that time, it was blasting away a jazzy, bluesy, soulful singer doing cover songs. It clearly shows that the owner was in a world of his own enjoying to tunes he loves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment