Saturday, January 31, 2015

Oh Scooter! Cafe, USJ 21, Subang Jaya

Address:
49, Jalan USJ 21/10, 47630 Subang Jaya
Opening Hours:
Mon - Sun: 10:00 am - 11:30 pm
Time Visited:
Around 10:30 in the morning at the start of a weekend, Saturday
Attire worn:
Casual
Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Taz-Mania Panini and a Cafe Latte
 The concept of this cafe is very much like Abah & Sons Co. Motocafe but this one displays artistically painted scooters.

As I enter the cafe, it looks as if they're just opened even though it's close to 11am with curious but inviting onlooking staffs  busy cleaning up a section of the cafe. This gives me an impression of how cleanliness is important to them since they're cleaning a part of the cafe that's difficult and would probably seldom clean for most owners but why they're doing that while opened for business is what I don't comprehend. A look around the cafe will see the equally squeaky clean look unlike the overly cluttered Abah & Sons. But to be fair, this cafe is way more spacious then the cramped space that Abah & Sons occupy.

For food (excluding cakes), they only have a choice of 3 Paninis and that's where I chose the Taz-Mania to try. Their signature coffee is the cotton candy coffee where cotton candy replaces sugar as sweetener for the esspresso. On a wooden board, the stick of cotton candy would be served along with the coffee and milk separated. I didn't try their signature since sugar with coffee isn't exactly my thing although I do at times take it that way but instead opt for a latte. I found it unusual when they asked for my name but later found out why when I saw the collection counter at the end. This cafe mimics some franchise coffee places where they write your name on your cup and will dispense at the end for you to collect when they call your name. The only other cafe that's not franchised that I can think of does this is Podgy and the Banker.

Being the only patron at that time, I sat myself down where my coffee came minutes later. The latte was in a latte glass that contains a small handle which is something out of the ordinary for me. Later on, I was handed a block of wood that contains a number to identify my orders. It was also artistically painted on. The latte felt a little weak for me and all I can taste is the milk it contains. Not sure why this is how I feel nowadays. Maybe my taste bud is shot and so used to Espresso Labs strong coffee tasting latte. But anyway, towards the end of the cup, I did taste a bit of the coffee which is mild to moderate in it's coffee strength.

The Taz-Mania Panini took a while to come out. I don't blame em. It is after all, with a Sirloin Steak in between. Along with it, there's pesto and compound butter with veggies and a side of fries served. The steak is a little too chewy to me than I normally would like in the beginning but the taste was okay and it was just a small portion of it that's that way. It was cooked proper. When I hit the compound butter, it totally floored me. The butter heightened the steak to a few notches up. The fries were just your average normal everyday fries even though it's sprinkled with some spices on it but it didn't add anything extra to it's flavoring.

The service was excellent to me. Not sure if it's the same when they're swamped with people but they really take care of you in the littlest of details. They'll give you suggestions on what to order should you be stumped at the counter, I was asked by the friendly barista how's my food, I was given a smile when I was glancing over at them cleaning up even though I look weird, almost mental in my state with me being alone, I was greeted as I entered the entrance, I was served a bottle of water with a glass without asking and they constantly cleared off my table when I'm done with certain things. The only thing wrong with it was not being thanked when I left. I guess they might've been too engrossed with whatever they're doing. LOL. The cafe is relaxing, artistic, pleasing to the eyes even though it has scooters for a theme. It would definitely be a good chill-out location were it not being too far for me.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM30.80. This cafe contains 6% government tax, surprisingly. Must be doing really well. the Panini amounts to RM21.90 while the latte costs RM8.90. Cheap, but reasonably priced for the kind of coffee they produce.

Final Verdict:
6/10. Though I like their friendly gestures, it's coffee underwhelms me seeing that it's a cafe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment