Thursday, January 8, 2015

TAPS Beer Bar, 1 Mont Kiara, Mont Kiara

Address:
G-1, 1 Mont Kiara
1, Jalan Kiara
Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Opening Hours:
Daily, 11am till late nights.
Time Visited:
Around Seven-ish in the pm, a rainy Wednesday night
Attire worn:
Casual
Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Doctor's Orders Electrolyte Forte on tap and Fish and Chips.
Since this was my first time at 1 Mont Kiara, it took me a while before I managed to find my way around and locate TAPS Beer Bar. The outlet is placed at the front of the building facing Plaza Mont Kiara where you won't see it indoors.

As I stepped in to the interestingly renovated place, it seems like a typical bar-like setting with artsy walls, ceilings, stairs and very apparent exhaustive list of beer menu which mimics of many coffee cafes. The seatings were a little cramp given their lack of space with a stairs right in the middle and their table providing ample capacity for you to withhold loads of beer with it. LOL. In this place, the bar area looks more appealing to sit at where you can stare at the interesting beer menu as long as you want. Mind you, that's the only place that you can see their list of beers since their fixed menu consists of only their mains and the ever regular norm alcohols. Throughout my time there, I gazed upon the beer menu ever so interested to try more, but unfortunately, my tolerance for alcohol had diminished tremendously making it finishing one glass an accomplished feat.

Anyway, once I seated myself at one of the tables, I thought that I won't be attended to for a while since I barely see any staff walking the floor and most were at the bar. But boy, was I wrong. In an instant, out of nowhere, somebody came up to me to take my order. Being a place where their exotic beers are the main attractions, they didn't provide me a menu until I asked them.

With that many beers that I've never tried before to choose from, it took me quite a while to order. Usually, people will ask for recommendations based on their taste and will conduct a little taste test to see which appeals to them (unless it's those in bottles). I finally settled for Doctor's Orders Electrolyte Forte, which is a sour wheat ale that contains 7.5% alcohol.

I didn't think much of it until I tasted it. It was superb. Magnificent to say the least. Never had I tasted such a beer that revitalize me so much and it perked me up. I fell in love with the taste in an instant. It had similarities in taste to Hoegaarden White but Hoegaarden White was so weak in taste and much less in it's sweetness and alcohol that it pales very much in comparison to this. Although it is rather sweet, yet it didn't overpower and mask the taste of alcohol in there which is perfect for me. If ever I am to have my last drink before I end my life, this would be it. LOL.

As for the Fish and Chips, I also didn't think much of it because most bars I know serve shitty food. When the meal was brought to me, it was served with a smile and an "Enjoy your food" remark which I've rarely encountered people telling me even though it should be a common phrase in eateries.

As I bit into it, I am quite surprise that it was rather delicious. Definitely ranks above average in my mind. The fish that they use is sea bass which is quite a big piece and the seasoning to it was adequate. The chips were in the form of wedges-like which is surprisingly pleasing to my palate.

Despite my interest to try more beers, my cursed condition were unable to handle any more. Also, note to self, don't let the beer sit too long else the taste will dwindle. The last leg of the beer intake had hints of saltiness in it and is less effervescent and a little flatter.

This place is a hidden gem to me and I'm glad I took the effort to travel here to try it and will definitely wanna try other beers when I get the chance.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM66.10. The beer costs more than my dinner at RM32 while the Fish and Chips were at RM25. 6% government tax apply along with 10% service charge. Expected. Seeing a beer of that quality and rarity, it's worth it. Just that I can't have it as often as I would want to. LOL.

Final Verdict:
8/10. A definite must visit for beer lovers. Once you taste the beers they have to offer, you'll find it difficult to go back to the norm. But of course, you will have to due to the price. Haha

0 comments:

Post a Comment