Monday, August 3, 2015

Eat at J's (Eat@J's), Taman SEA, SS23, Petaling Jaya (PJ)

Address:
No. 28, Jalan SS23/11, Taman Sea, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
(Within the big square where restaurants and workshops galore behind the Cash Converter area)

Opening Hours:
I have no idea. There's no published opening times anywhere and I didn't ask.

Time Visited:
11:50am, a Sunday morning the day after their grand opening.

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Latte and Big Breakfast
Tucked in an area where I've long abandoned cruising along, I decided to make the trip to this recently officially opened cafe after hearing word of it from a friend. I was unable to make it to their grand opening hence my eager visit to this establishment the very next day.

Parking on a Sunday is easy as pie with ample parking space so long as you go further in because the front will be full of cars occupying due to the popularity of people visiting the restaurant right at the front. For Eat at J's, it's merely a meager small, cozy cafe that has limited spaces.

During my entrance there, there seems to be a lot of patrons at the place but mostly known acquaintances to the cafe's owners and workers. Everybody seemed to chip in as they notice me incoming with one man opening up the door for me while another who noticed me looking longingly at the menu board high above their counter, called out to the person who's cleaning up plates to attend to me. That person who's cleaning up plates, need to get the one and only person who can take orders to attend to me. That one person seems to be really stressed up and am as busy as a bee making me feel a little uncomfortable just looking at her taking my orders.

Mind you, the usual procedure over at this cafe is you take the menu (or are served with it as you sit yourself down) and once you're ready to place your order, the person in charge will attend to you. As for my case, of course I went way up to the counter and just ordered right off the bat of their written board menu atop the counter.

The place is small and seems a little cramped with tables unsystematically placed to optimize the walking path as much as possible but seems to be futile. The cafe has a lot of wooden fixtures in them giving a cabin in the woods feel and also contains a small bar area catered for single diners but it seems to be really cramp for those who's gonna be sitting over there as it's way to close to 2 tables over there. I also observed the difficulty of a few of it's patrons trying to make their way in and out of their seats to their intended place like the toilet or to grab a cup of water all because of some chairs just not pushed in to the tables when not used. So this indicates to me that should a person be sitting on both chairs, the patron will need to find an alternative walkway. LOL.

The latte to me was aromatic and mild in it's coffee taste giving a nice creamy feel to it, something that I've grown to like but I feel that the skill of thickening the milk more needs to improve since the artwork just faded away on it's own though untouched after a certain period of time. Nonetheless, I like the coffee profile.

The Big Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment for me. It's a plate with hash brown, a piece of toast, 2 sausages, 2 salami slices, 2 rocket leaves, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. The mushrooms to me lack seasoning and the scrambled eggs is the same as well, a little too bland for my taste. The rest were just normal with the toast and hash brown probably tasting the best. It was served in a clay like tablet plate that beautifies it's presentation. Unfortunately, I couldn't even manage to finish the mushrooms and the eggs.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM29. RM10 for the Latte and RM19 for the Big Breakfast. No GST nor service charge imposed yet.

Final Verdict:
6/10. If the place were a little less cramped but as friendly and vibrant as the patrons in it, it would be way much better. I somehow felt a little unwelcome being a stranger of one but I guess the person in charge just seems to be stressed out fresh from it's Grand Opening which I pretty much understand. Perhaps with less patrons and more helpers the mood will change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment