Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Moonlight Cake House, Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur (KL)

Address:
No. 1, Jalan Radin Bagus 9, Bandar Baru Sri Petaling, 57000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Daily, 9am-2am

Time Visited:
2:15pm, Wednesday afternoon. Which was scorching hot.

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Lady Violet Cake, Regular Frappuccino Coffee and Bamboo Charcoal Smoked Salmon Burger
I got a little lost while trying to find my way here. This place's road name sounded familiar and as I approach the area, I remembered that it's a place that I've been for a review on one of the restaurants before.

Moonlight Cake House is actually an established franchise that has a few branches in Johor hence when it opened up a branch in Sri Petaling, it has a hype of crowd since they have a membership system that affords 10% off for it's members.

Parking in the area during the days (and as I recall also in the nights) is a nightmare since it's a very crowded area with the place teeming with cars and crowds and a department store nearby. However, right opposite of Moonlight Cake House is a private car park where they charge RM3.20 per entry which is cheap to me. There's plenty of parking space inside this parking lot. Of course if you manage to find those public car park it would be considerably cheaper if you only parked for less than 5 hours in the day and in the night it's free.

When I caught sight of Moonlight Cake House, I was in awe as I wasn't expecting such a large place for just a bakery. A 2 story building spanning of a corner shop lot.

The downstairs area is the main bakery place where people congregate to buy pastries on display while the upstairs area consists of the dine in area where patrons can have a meal there or just a cup of drink if they so wish. The downside about this is that if you fancy having a cake that's on display downstairs, you'll have to buy it first and carry it upstairs because it's not gonna be listed in their menu. This was the case for me when I ordered the Lady Violet.

Actually, in the beginning, I wasn't aware about their arrangement and went to the counter to order a drink. The guy told me in Chinese that I can order my drinks upstairs if I'm having it there. I somehow managed to understand what he said. I also somehow managed to muster up enough of my Chinese to tell him that I also want a piece of the Lady Violet cake which he annoyingly attended to me due to my imperfect Chinese. LOL.

The Lady Violet is an Almond Sponge Cake that has pastry cream filled with yam cubes enveloping it. It kinda reminded me of another yam cake that I've ate before at Tokyo Pastry in Avenue K. That one was better. But for this one, you can taste the yam cubes and can even see it when you scoop into it. The taste is not strong but more of a neutral feel. It should go well with some coffee.

During my time upstairs, I was attended to more properly than the busy cashiers downstairs with a full menu. Their tables are huge and mostly catered for 4 people. Only a few that are against the wall that's for 2 person and that's already fully filled. I felt a little guilty for taking up the big four person table but I had no choice. They closed off an area by putting reserve signs on tables over at the bar side. Despite being after 2pm which is after lunch hour, this place still has a lot of people visiting be it sitting around and dining or downstairs people busy buying their preferred pastries.

Halfway through my yam cake, my Frappuccino arrived but after my burger was served.

The burger looks nice and inviting. The charcoal bun was tasty and wasn't flaky nor falling a part easily. It was proper. The onion rings had 2 piles (in my case). One fully stuck on to each other making it a little difficult for me to eat since I need to break it while the other was not bad. In it's own respective pieces. The onions were small in pieces inside while the batter surrounding it were huge. The chicken floss I felt was a nice touch because it added some sweetness to the bun making it a little more nicer to the taste. The smoked salmon though was a little too salty and too much in it's fish taste for me which is too overwhelming. But all in all, it was okay.

The Frappuccino was good. A nice coffee taste to it with the syrup not being too sweet but sweet enough for an average joe.

The ambiance of the place was soothing. The shades hides off the interior from the scorching sun outside and the lighting gives off a mellow and cool feel to it. One thing I have to say is that the place is way too big for the staff to manage. Many people need to flag down the staff several times to get their attention. Those sitting at the corner or blocked by the pillars would suffer the most. Water is self service should you require some. Although I was provided with the WiFi password, I did not manage to get it working and gave up and use my data instead. The place had Kenny G's saxophone melodies playing on repeat and made me feel as if I'm in one of those 80s Canto-drama. Pretty soon, I felt a very great sense of sleepiness and kept dozing off during my 2 hours stay. The coffee had zero effect in keeping me awake and the annoying music that I every so often hear the same tunes fail to do the same as well. I occasionally had a violent blast of cool air from the air cond unit above starting from 30 minutes before I leave helped me to maintain an alert state. This is one very unique bakery to me.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM7.30 for the Lady Violet Cake which I paid downstairs and RM30.40 for the rest including GST. No service charged imposed.

Final Verdict:
6.5/10. It's not very lone diner friendly not because of the staffs attitude, but because of it's popularity and the lack of 2 seater tables. They should also implement a cake menu for dine in customers or have a separate display case above so that people can sit in and just have a cup of coffee with some cakes without the hassle to travel down and up just for it. Other than that, it's soothing surrounding got me dozing off at times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment