Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Original Penang Kayu Nasi Kandar, SS2, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
No. 64, Jalan SS2/10, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Opening Hours:
Daily, 24 hours.

Time Visited:
6:45pm. Tuesday evening

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Nasi Kandar and Teh Ice
I came over to this part of SS2 because I first wanted to try A'Perfetto but when I arrived, I discovered that it was close. A quick peek at their Facebook page indicates that they're close for these few days for no reason disclosed. I walked up and down the road to look at what other restaurants there are here and see which I would fancy going in to try.

Seeing that I've not step foot in Kayu Nasi Kandar, SS2 for about 10 years, I decided to do so today. I remembered quite clearly that this is the other Nasi Kandar with mixed curry that I like with Nasi Kandar Pelita, SS2 my first and foremost favorite.

The place looks fantastic after all these years. Looks like they did some redecoration and looks really clean and proper like a restaurant and not some mamak shop. They even got this continuous flow of water in the front which I supposed would be a fountain but it's negligible and I don't see the real purpose of it there besides making water sounds to soothe those sitting very near it. Other than that, there's no way those who sit indoors can hear that since it's so noisy.

The layout of the restaurant was just as I remembered it only thing is that it looks like it has expanded to one more shoplot. The Nasi Kandar area now is a separate area where there's a cash register there and you need to pay for it first before you sit your self down. I ordered the usual when it comes to nasi kandar and that is with a piece of fried chicken and the mixture of the curries. Over here at Kayu Nasi Kandar, they will always start you off by putting two types of vegetable dishes onto your plate without you indicating to them whether you want it or not. One is the cucumber and the other is the cabbage. After scooping those into the fake banana leaf plate, they will await on what else you want. This is in line with what I remember. What I don't remember is the need to pay first after they've calculated the cost of your nasi kandar. Not sure when they started implementing this.

As I sat myself down, I can see that the service here is just as horrid as I remember it and one of the reason why I stopped coming here to eat. It's even worse than over at Pelita. Here, they have a lot of staffs. Even more than Pelita. It's not exactly dinnertime yet so there aren't a lot of customers yet though it's considered moderate for me. There's many of them just standing around doing nothing. I signaled for one person and the guy sees me but ignores me. I signaled another fella and he just pretended not to see me and started talking with another guy. And so I started to signal to a guy that's at the inside area of the place and finally that guy nods at me and moves towards me. Just as shitty like last time. At least Pelita they don't dare to look you in the eye because once they do and you signal to them, they will have to come over and not ignore you. LOL.

The taste of the nasi kandar is the same as how I remembered it to be. The combination of curries makes the unique great taste to eat with the rice but I would say Pelita's is still my favorite. Out of the two papadum that were given to me, one was okay and crispy while the other is no longer crispy. At least they still give it. As for Pelita, during the period of 6pm-7.30pm or so, the papadum are not ready and there will be none. The fried chicken that they give are much more larger in size that Pelita's feeble ones. But the taste were not as good. However, it's good enough for me.

The pricing over here are considerably more expensive. Just the teh ais alone costs RM2.50 for a cup which to me is ridiculously expensive. The nasi kandar costs RM7.50 which is reasonable.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM10. As mentioned above, RM2.50 for the ice tea and RM7.50 for the rice with one piece of fried chicken. This is inclusive of 6% GST.

Final Verdict:
5/10. It's a nice place to escape and wait for the horrendous SS2 traffic jam towards LDP to recede but other than that, I don't see any other reason for me to be here. Their nasi kandar with a combination of mixed curries has lost it's appeal to me years ago where Pelita is the only place that can still make me crave for theirs. I also don't have any great nostalgic memory in this place aside from remembering some faces that I've eaten with here. There just isn't any occasion that I can remember nor any memorable topic of conversation that spurred from that place. Pity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment