Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Butter + Beans at Seventeen, Happy Mansion, Section 17, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
BG-1 Happy Mansion, Jalan 17/13, Section 17 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Daily, 8:30am - 9pm

Time Visited:
10:30am, Sunday.

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
A Latte and a Blueberry Danish
It's been years ever since I've moved away from Section 17. It's a place where cheap and good foods galore and the neighborhood is quite a close-knitted community consisting a blend of old folks, families and the many college/university students due to it's nearness to some colleges and universities nearby.

Happy Mansion used to be a very dilapidated, run-downed flats where it doesn't seem a very appealing condition to stay in. I would know because I used to have 2 different sets of friends staying in that location and it just looks like a third world country on it's own. But the upside is that the rental is very cheap for a whole flat that time and that's the main reason why most people stay put there. Now at the present, the place has been done up nicely and even has barrier gates at the residential blocks below. The not too long ago fresh coat of paint gave rise to a refreshing lively look than what it used to be. Happy Mansion also gave birth to many now famously known eateries that started off small from very humble beginnings here. The first that I ever saw and patronized was the 6 2 10 Grill where it started off from just a small sidewalk stall with few tables and quickly arose to take over the corner lot of the building and was always packed to the brim up until the late nights. It graduated from Section 17 and moved out to Aman Suria. This place also saw the birth of Food Foundry and MyElephant and now Butter + Beans. When I was there, I also saw quite a few restaurants there now compared to just 6 2 10 Grill ruling the area of Happy Mansion last time.

Nostalgia reeks as I pulled up to the familiar sight and parked at the available parking slots. Already from a distance, I can see the clear black sunshade cum signage indicating Butter + Beans at Seventeen. This is definitely a very small and cramped cafe with the large part of the shop being occupied by the counter behind for the staff to craft out your coffee and prepare your pastries to be consumed. I saw many comments complaining about the lack of space for this place but if they were to understand the history of eateries in Section 17 better, they would've known that Happy Mansion is a place that is cheap in it's rental. So if you're a person who want to venture into the food industry but has limited capital, this was the place to do so. However, there's also the risk of just being an unknown forever and merely hiding in this neighborhood with the occasional visits of the residents nearby. Yet now, it has been a hotbed of breeding great eateries with the many examples given earlier. So yes, it's cramp and small. It's meant to be that way. It was meant to be a small start that unexpectedly gave rise to expansion opportunity.

While I was there at this quaint looking cafe, I entered the door where there's no automatic door closer and hence need your assistance to shut it yourself. There's just a narrow walkway leading up to a pastry display case that showcases a few of the pastries that you can have. As for the drinks, they do have a menu at the cash register where you place your orders but until you get there, you will need to settle for the less visible wall drawn menu. During the time I was there, there seems to be a line of people awaiting to get their coffee fix on the go or people who were there to buy their pastry.

I felt a little pressured as I was contemplating on what to devour as I peer into the glass case whilst the lady behind me in line looked a little annoyed from my silence. So I hurriedly picked the last item I saw which was the Blueberry Danish and went for my usual type of coffee which is a Latte. I paid my fee to a tired looking staff and sat myself down at one of the tables there. A little later on when I was there, the crowd cleared and the staff had some free time. The barista started to play some music from his computer.

My Blueberry Danish pastry and latte took quite a while before I got my order and I started to work with the limited space I had to obtain a nice photo (well, a nice enough for me photo). The latte that was produced to me was a nice one. I love the blend that they had and is similar to Artisan Roast Coffee in TTDI. The bitter undertone at the end to provide an aftertaste was much stronger than Eight Ounce Coffee at The Gardens Mall which I love more.

I kinda like the place despite being small and cramp. It feels cozy when I snuggle up at the corner with my back against the wall and the calmness and quiet surrounding after the crowd has left gave me a sense of tranquility in me. As for the friendliness of the staff, well, it's not there. Not to say that they're nasty. It's just that they seemed robotic and tired. If they're the ones who worked the full 7 days a week, I wouldn't blame them for being that way. LOL.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM18. 6% GST inclusive and no service charge. RM10.60 for Latte and RM7.40 for the pastry.

Final Verdict:
7/10. My heart always belonged in Section 17 though I've lost most of my memories. But it's those glimpses into the past where the place reminds me how I felt is the one that gets me the most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment