Monday, March 23, 2015

Johnny Rockets, The Curve, Mutiara Damansara

Address:
Lot G52, The Street, The Curve, Mutiara Damansara, PJ

Opening Hours:
Daily, 10am-10pm (or later), I guess? Since it is at a mall kind of area.

Time Visited:
11am, Sunday morning

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Chicken Club Sandwich and a Root Beer Float
When Johnny Rockets first open in Malaysia at this outlet, they've created so much of a hype that there was a long waiting queue just to eat here. A friend of mine waited for an hour just to get a table.

Now that there's plenty more outlets opened, this place is not as crazy as it first started. Since I was really early and Ikea is the crazy place to be, I headed on here to have my meal.

Initially, when I passed by in the morning, there's nobody there at all. After having a walkaround at Ikea and returned, this place was already starting to fill with people.

I wasn't greeted at the front door and I think they're still not fully finish preparing for the day yet. There were no hostess at all and as I'm almost at my seat, only then a person greeted me a hi. I took a seat and another staff casually took his pace to pass me my menu.

I was quite excited to try this place and as I browse through the menu, I suddenly realized that it's not just a burger joint but rather a 60's diners concept. I simply adore their uniforms especially the hostess' pretty red dresses. But despite a really good appearance and outlook, the atmosphere there leaves more to be desired for. A little more on that later.

Since most of the staff just busily does something mostly around the counter, I had to flag one down when I was ready to order. There's only this one Filipino woman that's attentive to me and smiles at me, the rest just seem to walk around like zombies doing busy work which I have no idea what they're doing.

The layout of the place makes the area pretty few in tables and seatings hence the more seatings outdoor than indoor. This is probably also to make room for them to dance around at certain intervals to entertain the patrons (which isn't much space. LOL).

Despite having a diner concept with 4 bar stools at the counter area, I find it awkward being a lone diner in a place like this. Families congregate over here as well as some lovebirds but no lone diner in sight....except me. But then again, I'm not in my own sight so I can't spot me. If you catch my drift. LOL. There are a couple of flies hovering around the area despite being an air conditioned environment. But then again, they usually keep their doors open for some reason.

Soon my order of root beer float came. Wish the service was a bit more faster. After all, the root beer float is just like something I make at home, root beer in a can with ice cream scoops. However, I love their vanilla ice cream. It was absolutely delicious. Soft cream and you can tell that it's not exactly the ice creams bought at stores unlike the root beer. They would pour merely halfway of the root beer into the glass which is filled with ice cream and will hand you the other half of the root beer for you to pour it in later yourself.

The Chicken Club Sandwich also came later than I expected it to be. The fries that came with it tasted okay, although few in numbers but sufficient. Since any more of it and I will be unable to finish it off anyway. The coleslaw has a pinkish hue to it and tasted a notch better than the KFC's coleslaw. That already has set it a part better than a lot of places. The good setting of a piece of lettuce underneath the coleslaw makes it so that the juices from the coleslaw do not contaminate with the fries. The dressing also sticks pretty well with the coleslaw.

the Chicken Club Sandwich though, is a little bit of a let down. It didn't taste as tasty as I wanted it to be. The pieces of lettuce in the mix tasted bitterish at times and the tomato was a chore biting at it. Must be getting old to complain that a tomato is hard to bite at. The plain bread is just that, plain very slightly toasted bread. I wish they would slab it with butter but they put more mayo instead. The "thick" turkey bacon tasted mediocre and it wasn't that thick as stated but went well with the mayo and finally, if there's one thing great about the sandwich, that would be the grilled chicken thigh right at the bottom. Cooked right and juicy on the inside when you slice it. One more good point about it was it's plate was warm when served.

Total Wallet Damage:
All in all RM38.05. RM22.90 for the Chicken Club Sandwich, RM9.90 for the root beer float, and as usual 10% service charge and 6% government tax. This is considered pretty cheap. At the risk of sounding racist, I also notice that a lot of Malays like to dine in here. I noticed that this place seem to sell alcohol(?) because I saw signs of Somersby and some beer glasses on the wall but I didn't see it on the menu. Maybe it's only meant for nighttime.

Final Verdict:
5/10. I actually wouldn't bother coming back here again. The food isn't that fantastic, the ambiance no doubt looks good but environment-wise looks a bit of a dump even though they're opened not too long ago. Probably a drink would be okay but just being here alone makes me feel very self-conscious here and very out of place and the dancing in the middle of a service seemed forced when I was there. I was far more amused at the kitchen crew mockingly dance way better at the back when they weren't even part of the performance. Despite being a place that suppose to bring smiles, I very much didn't felt like it when I was there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment