Saturday, March 28, 2015

Sam Kan Chong, 1 Utama, Bandar Utama

Address:
LG122, 1 Utama Shopping Centre, Kuala Lumpur

Opening Hours:
Daily 10am-10pm, presumably

Time Visited:
At 7.20pm, Monday Night

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Their "Lunch" Value Meal (which starts from 12pm all the way to 9pm!), SJC in sauce (dry), comes with one Vege of the Day + I added on a Chinese Tea hot for the price of RM1.50
Despite seeing this place for so many times when I frequent 1 Utama, I never did felt like going in to try till this fateful day. On this day, I don't know what possessed me to go on in to try but I think it's between the lines of not wanting to eat at another franchised place.

The place seems to be filled with tables but only a few customers inside. The staff were very friendly and helpful and came to my table to take my order even though I didn't ask for them and this place was supposed to be a self service style where you write down your order on a sheet of paper provided to you and pass it to the wait staff when done. The mild mannered guy spoke softly to me that I needed him to repeat again on every sentence he spoke since I couldn't hear him at all.

The orders came fairly quick and it was time for a munching once it arrived. The Chinese Tea no doubt costs RM1.50, but it was filled to the brim for me. Once the dishes were brought to me, the mild mannered staff again ask me on whether would I like some chili? (which of course I asked for him to repeat his question because I couldn't hear him again. LOL). I then nodded yes and he hurriedly took the two chili bowls from another table bringing it to mine.

As I dig in to my food, my smiles started to fade. It was terrible. Hardly had any good taste to it and all I tasted on the bowl of noodles were bland and salty MSG for the gravy. The vegetable served in a small dish were also close to tasteless and the only thing that's nice was the soup. That too at best is mediocre. The lumps of fish balls also had no taste to it and in the end, it's just a waste of time and money to just be there at this place to eat. I'm surprised that people actually do come here to eat.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM11.10. Pay at the counter. Like I said. It's supposed to be self service. There's no government tax (shows how bad their business is) but has a 10% service charge.

Final Verdict:
4/10. I wouldn't bother coming into this place to eat. The food is terrible. But I love the service. I'm baffled at seeing crowds of people at a place like this during the lunch period. Probably enticed by it's so called value meal when McDonald's is actually much cheaper if you add it up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment