Friday, May 13, 2016

Chung Kee @ Restoran Yat Pat Hoe (一八好), Seksyen U1, Glenmarie, Shah Alam, Selangor

Address:
No. 11, Jalan Juruaudit U1/37, Seksyen U1, Glenmarie, 40150 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Not sure what's their opening hours are like but I think it's from 7am - 8pm. Half day on Saturday, maybe.

Time Visited:
12:30pm, Thursday lunch time

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Ipoh Shredded Chicken Noodles (Kai See Hor Fun) and Chinese Tea Ice

This restaurant use to be one of my favorite haunts mainly because I can have my Petai cravings fixed here. I love the Thai Food that ply their business at the back but due to promising a jovial uncle that mans this new stall located up front of the restaurant a month back, I decided to keep my promise and try out this fine day.

The place of course is not new to me but is mainly my favorite place to go for food but due to the recent boom of new restaurants that came up within the vicinity, I started to frequent here less and less. So the stall that I'm trying out is called Chung Kee and ironically, the dish that I'm trying out is the Ipoh Shredded Chicken Noodles, something that I use to eat at my hometown in Ipoh every Friday night after a religious meeting. It's tough to claim something from a certain place where the dish is famous for and be comparable to the real deal and I'm here to test it out.

The jovial uncle was still there that day with another person who prepares the dishes while the uncle mainly do PR work and serve the food to customers. He was also busy interacting with some customers seated nearby his stall and so he was less conversant towards me that day though there were few exchanges in our chatter. Pretty soon, the noodles came to my table. It looks lavishly brandished in soup where the tip of the bowl of noodles were the only ingredients you get to see which was the shrimps. The few shredded pieces of chicken can be seen but other than that the noodles were mostly submerged in the heavily soup laden dish.

Before I continue further commenting about the bowl of noodles, let me just specify for the record that this restaurant still charges their Chinese Tea Ice for 50 sen only! This is the only restaurant left that I know of that charge their Chinese Tea Ice for 50 sen only. Section 17 Restoran How Yekee is another that I know that don't raise the price that quickly even though other spots had done so months ahead but I haven't been there for so long so I'm not sure whether they charge 50 sen there still.

So then the moment of truth in tasting the noodle dish came since the uncle kept asking me to try his noodles and the verdict is.........unfortunately a major letdown. I find the soup along with the noodles lacks taste and almost tasteless. The chicken was gamy and dry and didn't give out the rich nice, smooth and oily taste that I get from the Ipoh style hor fun. The noodles are a repetition of tasteless and I find no consolation of a good point to follow up in praise. All I got was sheer disappointment from it and there's no good point that I can raise up aside from saying it's edible. Even the miserable 2 pieces of shrimp was a letdown. Despite it's small size, they're just too lazy to even peel off the shell which most shops would and I'm a person who hates eating a shrimp with it's shell still on because I'm a very lazy individual. I'm a person who thinks the taste of shrimp is not well worth the effort to get my hands dirty to peel off the shell.

So yes. It's a letdown. So if I'm ever at this shop, I'll still to the regular good ones like the Petai Chicken way at the back or the claypot yee mee (a little too salty but still delicious because I like yee mee) at the middle or the nice old lady's pork noodles just behind this Chung Kee stall. But as for this Ipoh Shredded Chicken Noodles, I don't think I'm ever eating it ever again. So sorry but that's how I felt.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM7 for the noodles (big). For the small portion, it'll cost RM6. But what's intriguing is the restaurant's Chinese Tea Ice is only 50 sen! Hope it'll last a very very long time. :D

Final Verdict:
3/10. Too tasteless and ingredients not fine enough. Needs improvement. Very very much greatly needed. But don't let that deter you from eating at this restaurant. There's other fine stalls to eat from.

0 comments:

Post a Comment