Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Merchant's Lane, Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia

Address:
No, 150 Jalan Petaling, 59000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Mon-Tue:
11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Thu-Fri:
11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Sat-Sun:
9:30 am - 10:00 pm

Time Visited:
4:30pm, Saturday evening

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
On my portion, I ordered Pipits Nest and a hot Long Black
DISCLAIMER: This was not a lone dining experience.

Hungry as fuck that day due to me missing the buffet lunch provided at an event which resulted in me having a grueling time enduring a demo and tour around a budget hotel, I couldn't wait to sink my teeth in at this heritage driven theme cafe located at the heart of Kuala Lumpur, right smack dab in the middle of a touristy spot of Petaling Street where by dark, I always feel unsafe being in the vicinity of this area.

It was also the day that I first bear witness and the experience of bearing the brunt of the tremendous increase in parking fees for the district of Kuala Lumpur. The parking machines located within around Petaling Street area only allows 2 hours maximum in buying your parking to which you will need to repurchase after that since the authorities haven't enforced the 2 hours maximum in parking whereby you'll have to leave the place after that. I tried buying with my Touch N Go card but it was no go since the machine for some odd reason said my card was not valid. Pretty disappointing. Next time I'm gonna try their app JomParking to pay. But then again, I don't see the Petaling Street area listed on it. Grr.

Anyway, we first made the mistake of entering the wrong place and ended up in a very scary looking location which was dark and all and somebody at the back said that the restaurant is not opened yet. Puzzled, we exited the place and finally spotted that we were at the wrong place. The door to Merchant's Lane is two doors down. The place though located at an upstairs location garnered a lot of people visiting it mainly a lot were there to take pictures. I guess the rustic and vintage charm of the place was the attracting point which reminded me a lot of those old shoplot houses in Malacca.

After deciding on where to sit, we ordered our much overdue lunch where I went for a long black and pipits nest. Pipits Nest is a serving of Brinjal Fries, Onion Rings & Chicken Tenders all in one dish with cheese sauce all over it. It took a moderate amount of waiting time till it came to our place but then again, there were at almost full capacity in their cafe so it can be considered as fast since there's so many customers around. The Pipits Nest just looks like a bowl of fried stuff all in one where if I don't look closely and simply pick one with my fork, I wouldn't know what I took till I bite on it. Brinjal fries and onion rings were a bit oily for my taste but it's good in terms of it's appetizing factor. The chicken tenders were better since you don't really feel the oil as much as the Brinjal Fries and Onion Rings. Putting cheese sauce all over the whole thing actually is a very good idea because it certainly needed that. Else the food will taste nauseous once you reach at a certain stage without the cheese sauce to help it go down better. As for the Long Black, the coffee wasn't bad. I'd say it's slightly above average. The WiFi isn't as fast as I wanted it to be but usable.

We left for dinner after sitting down for a while around 2 hours plus.

Total Wallet Damage:
Well, my portion amount to RM24 which is quite reasonable. RM16 for the Pipits Nest and RM8 for the Long Black. 6% GST included.

Final Verdict:
7/10. Food is quite good (at least for the Pipits Nest) and the coffee's not bad. A pulling factor for photograph enthusiasts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment