Friday, August 19, 2016

VCR, Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur (KL)

Address:
2, Jalan Galloway, Bukit Bintang, 50150 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Daily, 8.30am - 11pm

Time Visited:
7pm, Saturday evening

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Squash Toast and a Cappuccino
I'll be brief about this review because I'm recently under a slump of writer's block this past week. Motivation at an all time low and rethinking on whether I should go ahead and move up my 5 year plan.

In a nutshell, this place has a good ambiance, good coffee but okay food. Well, at least for my squash toast with my tastebuds. This place is situated right in the heart of KL and it's parking place is unforgiving because it has very, very, limited place to park. In fact, you can consider it as none at all. But most people just park up front at the cafe there which fits what, 1 car? LOL. 2 If you squeeze it in and the rest usually park alongside the side alley which is actually illegal. The most legit parking spots are all behind and those are actually in front of other people's resident place.

Anyway, being here at night, I parked behind where the residents' place is and I can tell you when it gets dark there, it looks frightening. It looks and feels unsafe due to poorly lit streets and a dark side alley and full of foreign workers living in those houses behind. To tell you the truth, VCR isn't a cafe that I've not visited before, it's just that I've never seen it at a darker light. Haha. As usual, there's a cat that lays on top of it's sign box which seems to be a signature landmark for this cafe. LOL. Once I walk in to VCR, I was greeted by the staff and they took my order after I indicated my preference of seating area which is the upstairs. I then proceeded upstairs and get myself settled in. Their service was incredibly quick. The food and coffee came pronto. I didn't have much time to settle in and already the stuff was brought to me.

The Cappuccino was quite foamy but it wasn't as a lot of other places that standardly puts half the cup as foam which in a way is good because that way, you get a nice standard cup of coffee. It does qualify as one because it's way too much foam to be a Latte so Cappuccino is aptly named. The coffee however, tasted liquorice in taste and fruity and I find that it would be much suited as a cup of espresso rather than wasting away the coffee profile of this sweet in taste to be mix in with milk. Still, it was uniquely nice to drink with.

As for the Squash Toast, well, it's toast is 2 slices of sourdough bread with squash in it and a Sausage on top of that. It's mentioned that it contains onion jam, I guess that's what those sweet and dark stringy things in the mix are. Overall, the taste of this dish is quite plain but as you eat more into it, it grows into you and you tend to like it better than when you started when you eat it.

Many people just love this place and even though it's dinnertime and the day is turning dark, it still churns out some average amount of customers coming in for a cup of coffee. Marvelous.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM31. RM20 for the Squash Toast and RM11 for the Cappuccino. Unsure if there's GST or service charge since I don't have a receipt to refer to.

Final Verdict:
6/10. Ya, I know. Many people love this place but to me it's just average. Many also hyped about the food and coffee but again I'm still feeling it as average. Unlike the time where my heart was captured by MiniMe Cafe at Oasis Damansara.

0 comments:

Post a Comment