Tuesday, August 30, 2016

West Winds Gin X Time Out Masterclass

A very hot day that day. It was a Saturday where I was invited to join in on the West Winds Gin Masterclass in collaboration with Time Out KL. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone to join me (So what's new? :Rolls Eyes:) but I decided to go for it anyway. Afterall, it's not usual anymore that I get a break from the cruel world and to reprieve myself with some much needed chill time without the burden and pressure of stress from this monstrous world. Ya, thanks to my unwitting self on committing social suicide and now everyone treads carefully around me and does not want to see me. Oh well. That's life for me. So then I decided to head over to it on my own and savor some great tasting gin of which I've never heard of the name before, West Winds.

It was just a short session but nobody wanted to join me, but this did not deter me from joining in. When I arrived at the venue, it's actually at one of those houses at Section 14 but it's a training centre in disguise I guess. As I enter into the venue, it had already started. The guru and mentor at the front was already talking away about how to appreciate the gin more and some history on it. He has a strong Australian accent and it seems that I was the only one who has problem grasping in what he's saying. Most likely because I may have developed ADD and I tend to phase in and out of his ramblings. But after adjusting myself for awhile, I'm able to catch on to what he's saying and pretty soon, it's not a problem for me understanding him.

Inside the room, there sits just a few other participants around and it was an intimate and up close session where we can comfortably concentrate upon the mentor. After some time spent on the history of it and talking about the tasting notes on some of the gins, they started to pour the first bottle of gin into our tasting glass. Overall, there were 4 gins savored, The Sabre, The Cutlass, Broadside and Captain's Cut.

The teacher taught us on how to nose the gin in a proper manner and that is to keep the mouth open a bit and whiffed the gin away from the glass first. After scenting on the liquid solution, it is time to taste it up.

The Sabre has a Citrusy taste to it while The Cutlass has a much grassy flavor to it. Both of which has sweet undertones to it and has a tropical mulch to it. At which the last 2 gin has me noticing that they had carefully crafted this tasting session well with the last 2 gins being of much of a savory taste. This will much help with the tasting as I can clearly distinguish their very dissimilar taste and it's much intricate characteristics.  The Broadside was savory and a little salty while the Captain's Cut is also salty, but woody and vivacious as well. The Captain's Cut has the most alcohol content in it as well with 63% of it in it. That's also an indication as to why they served that last. This is so that you won't be too drunk to taste before you hit the last glass. LOL. To me, it is also the most intense among the four and burns the most as it enters into my throat. But the taste of it was magnificent and I love it a lot. That was also my favorite.

I was so glad that I joined this masterclass despite me going on my own because it has helped me to appreciate gin way much more. I so love it a lot. I now look at gin at a different light and though I'm still a whisky lover first and foremost, my love for gin has been propelled as the 2nd type of hard liquor to go for when I have a chance. I went home satisfied and hope to join more of this type of alcohol tasting event. An hour well spent. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment