Sunday, February 14, 2016

Coffee Sprex, SS25, Taman Plaza, Taman Mayang, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
No.9, Jalan SS25/23, Taman Plaza, Taman Mayang 47301 Petaling Jaya (PJ), Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Daily, 8am - 7pm

Time Visited:
Around 10am on a Weekend, Saturday morning to be exact

Attire worn:
Casual

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
The All Day Big Breakfast where I change their unlimited house pouring coffee to a Latte
Just by the name alone, I thought nothing much about this place even though it's very near my house. But when I did some research about it before proceeding to visit here, I was astonished by what I found out. This place is actually run ENTIRELY by deaf people. Yeah. That's right. Deaf people. People who wouldn't be able to hear you. This sparked my curiosity to visit very much and I was very eager to see how this place fair with my judgment. Unfortunately, during Chinese New Year period, they were having a break from operating the cafe and so I had to wait for about a week before I'm free to visit this place.

Although I pass by this place many times, I've never spotted a cafe here before and after having a lookout at the row that it's situated on, I can see why. The cafe is merely occupying a half shop lot hence it's small. Along with that, their sign is rather plain, a white background with small wordings and difficult to read if you're just passing by. Being a place with just half a shoplot, it makes it a very small place and definitely not a place for a large group but of course, if you don't mind being closed together, this place can still accommodate. At least it's not as cramped as Butter & Beans at Section 17.

I entered the cafe and it gives off a very cozy and homely vibe to me. During my visit, there was only one person manning the whole cafe with another whom I think maybe is a friend? Because she didn't do anything except sat at a table. The friend there waved the attention to the person manning the place and that person signaled to me to wait which of course I understood and so I sat down and started looking at the menu. Pretty soon, the friend got up instead to take my order. I pointed to her that I wanted the All Day Big Breakfast and also pointed to her that I want a latte. She then gestured to me is it that I want to change their unlimited house pouring coffee and have the latte instead which I indicated to her yes. Then she ask me how my want my eggs by pointing to the picture of the big breakfast where there it's written 4 types of eggs to which I pointed to her that I wanted it Sunny Side Up. She understood and went over to the counter and conveyed to the person manning the cafe in their own way.

It took slightly longer than I expected for my big breakfast to arrive though the coffee came at an anticipated time frame. But that's understandable since there's only one person doing everything in the cafe. She's the cook, she's the cashier, she's the waitress and she's the maitre d'. I'm impressed. Not even a normal person can handle the way she did.

The coffee came in a very unique cup that's very ergonomic. It was shaped very much for a right-handed person to grip the cup very comfortably with the handle slanting towards you for a very nice thumb and index finger grip. The coffee was pleasant. Though there's no art or maybe she did try but of course it amounted to nothing, the taste was not bad and it was the kind of taste that I can easily get used to and like. I did find that there were some sediments when I reach the bottom and it was quite coarse. Other than that, not much complain about the coffee. Excellent with the milk. May not be a perfect ratio but it's close enough.

As for the big breakfast, it consists of 2 eggs (in my case it's sunny side up), a sausage (chicken bratswurst), bacon (pork), Luncheon Meat and 2 slices of bread that's halved into triangles with a slab of butter for the slight toast. The bread that they serve was wholemeal and that took me a little by surprise since a lot of places that serve bread like these usually just give white bread. It was only slightly toasted so not as crisp and was moderately lukewarm. The sunny side up eggs were nice and the yolk was runny....very runny. So I took care not to pop the 2nd one so as to not mess up my whole plate or contaminate the other ingredients before I get to savor how it is. The bacon as usual remained my favorite since I love, love, love, love eating bacon and this pork bacon emphasizes it. The luncheon meat was ordinary but nonetheless hearty and the Chicken Bratwurst were okay. It tasted very much like peppercorn and had that pepper spice feeling in it a lot.

There were pockets of customers that come in and it seems that most already know what this place is about.

Total Wallet Damage:
Only RM14.50. No service charge, no GST. Just the cheap price of RM9.50 and if it weren't for me adding on a latte which costs RM5, the RM9.50 would've covered you completely for breakfast since it comes with unlimited house pouring coffee from 8am - 12pm. In addition to that, there's also cereal of the day with milk to which I didn't get. Must be because I opt out of the coffee. Anyway, sure their ingredients may not be made from scratch themselves and most likely store bought the whole damn thing but still, it did provide a lovely taste and a very homely environment.

Final Verdict:
6.5/10. I'm impressed. This cafe is not only managed by deaf people on their own, but during my visit, there's only one person doing so and her time management on preparing the meal was so well done. Hell, even a fully functioning person with several staff find it hard at times to manage a cafe properly but they did it well enough to catch my attention. Not to forget, they provide cheap prices for their food and drinks which can easily fill you up and feels like home to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment