Sunday, February 7, 2016

Jeq in the House, Section 17, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
19, Jalan 17/45, Seksyen 17, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Mon-Fri:
11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sat:
10:30 am - 11:00 pm
Sun:
10:30 am - 10:30 pm

Time Visited:
12:45pm, Monday afternoon.

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Flat White and Tiramisu
A very productive day on this day where I started gallivanting around for food and coffee after doing what I was supposed to do at the branch office.

I started off with GO Noodle House at Jaya One due to a recommendation from someone who says it's her favorite and highly recommend me to try. And so I headed off there and tried and she was right, it's very delicious. So then the next destination got me landed at Jeq in the House.

I always got confused this with another similarly named cafe at Ara Damansara called Jac's on the 8th (which now is permanently closed) because that's the one I always see when I frequent Ara Damansara for lunch. Anyway, Jac's on the 8th of course is different. Located in the neighborhood where I'm very familiar, Jeq in the House looks creative in their decor with heavy furniture and a study area lookalike. They also sell mains so when I sat myself down to the very welcoming staff, she immediately handed me a menu. She even helped me pushed my table forward without thinking why I was doing so. Well, actually I did it so that the light that was shining down is directly on my table.

Since I already had quite a good lunch, I just went for their cakes and coffee. And so I ordered the Flat White and then proceeded to the display case to choose my cake. I soon ended up with the pretty looking tiramisu on the top. The waiting period for my cake and coffee was moderate and when it arrived, it was surprisingly pleasant to look at. The tiramisu was plated with some pretty drawings upon the plate and looks very well presented. The coffee had a slightly off tangent coffee art on top but it was well written and firm enough to stay for awhile.

The coffee was strong enough for my taste and I would guess that it's medium to dark roast in the mix with South American beans; lovely milk to coffee ratio and they coat the cup beforehand with some coffee to give the coffee some leverage which makes the taste stronger. It's a Flat White so the stronger taste is a necessity to me.

As for the cake, I believe it contains some sort of alcohol in it, maybe either whisky or rum but I barely tasted any. This tiramisu don't taste like any other ordinary type of tiramisu though. The conventional kind usually are fluffy and very light whereas for Jeq in the House's version, they packed it with loads of ingredients, particularly on the nuts. You'll get that a lot and you can visually see that as well that that's what it's loaded with at the top. Lots of caramel taste in it too so the sweetness is there but bearable. Along the way of biting through the tiramisu, I occasionally hit pockets of something frozen which are vaguely sweet, kinda like a frozen apple but not quite. I don't know what it was but it sure was fun having that different texture and feel in my mouth from time to time.

The day had turned into late afternoon and so I departed from here to take this opportunity that I'm not cooped in the office to check out one more cafe which the review will be out on a later date.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM31.50. RM11 for the Flat White and RM16 for Tiramisu. 6% GST implemented and uniquely, a 10% service charge as well. Odd for a cafe but yes, that's what they charge.

Final Verdict:
7/10. The food was good and the service not bad. Impressive presentable drawings on the plate to cheer up the cake dish but do they have to charge service charge? After all, the place is quite small and the workers don't really need to serve the customers that much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment