Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Philtre Coffee, SS21, Damansara Utama (DU) aka Uptown, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
44, Jalan SS21/35, Damansara Utama (DU) aka Uptown, 47400 Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
It's not finalized yet but at the time that I visited, it was 8am - 12am, Daily with the prospect of Monday being an off day.

Time Visited:
Around 9:45pm, Friday night. You can call it a sobering up session since we stumbled upon this place after an alcohol tasting event.

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
My friend had the Piccolo Latte while I had a Flat White. Two slices of cake were ordered and they are Lemon Curd Cheesecake and Salted Caramel Macadamia
DISCLAIMER: This was not a lone dining experience.

After an eventful night with me feeling ecstatic and kinda high, me and my friend decided to go and grab some proper food since the event that we went to earlier only served light food.

We first wanted to go to Epicuro for dinner but surprisingly, they said they were closing even though their closing time was supposed to be at 11pm. "Oh well." We thought. And headed for the interesting looking place that does not contain any signboard yet. And that turns out to be Phitre Coffee. They still do not have a signboard up because they're newly opened, haven't officially opened and were still testing the market there. The owner coincidentally was there right at the entrance and seeing our curiosity getting the better of us as we look at their chalkboard outside, he invited us in to try out their stuff and provide him feedback on whether do we like it. Since we've already decided to do so without him encouraging us, we stepped on in.

Philtre Coffee takes on the approach of a Kampung Village sort of appearance with a lot of wooden structure and decor that were made from pallet, pallet woods, window grills and window doors which adds the charm of a homely setting. The place has a mixture of bright and low lighting area and has a huge space span inside. We settled at a place where it's near to the counter where the cake display case is also there. On top of it lies a simple menu where one of the items caught my eyes and that is the Charcoal Croissant. Although that piqued my interest, we just went ahead and ordered 2 cakes instead. One being the Lemon Curd Cheesecake and the other the Salted Caramel Macadamia. To drink (and sober up for me) she partook the Piccolo Latte which they said is to be their signature while for me, I just went with the Flat White.

Philtre Coffee have 2 versions of coffee house blend, one is the normal one while the other has a more concentrated coffee taste which they call it the Supreme. The Supreme currently consists of 3 types of beans, Brazilian, Honduras and Papua New Guinea. As much as I'm game to try the Supreme, they offered us to start off with their normal house blend. Once the picture taking finishes, I get to finally sit down and sip on my cup of java.

To me, their Flat White tastes a little too weak for me. The coffee taste is so mild that having the milk in it dilutes it further which I'm not really fond of. But what I do like about the coffee profile is that it has a nutty and chocolatey taste to it at the end and easy on the throat and palate to wash down. They said that they use medium to dark roast but I tasted far from it since it's so mild. Anyway, they said that their Supreme is the more stronger coffee profile but we didn't give that a go so I'm unable to judge on that.

As for the cakes, the Lemon Curd Cheesecake contains a sourish lemon taste but just the right sourness for me to tolerate and consume that eases into a vivid sweetness. Texture is dense and compact and the size shows that too. But of course I preferred the Salted Caramel Macadamia. The caramel melted away from the cake quickly though when time passes by at our very prolonged photo taking ways exposing the chunky big macadamia nuts lodged in between the precipice and embankment of the cake. Just as well too. The caramel proved to be too sweet for my taste but since it melted away mostly and were only tasted as I scooped from the plate, it's now at a more balanced moderate level. As for the macadamia nuts, I'd prefer if it were of smaller chunks because the big ones such as theirs are sometimes a little of a nuisance biting on it though I still need that crunch feeling there. The chocolate was superb as it takes up as the wrapping taste over the macadamia and the salted caramel; compounded brilliantly with it's companion ingredients to masterfully tone those two down.

We soon bid our farewell to our warm and friendly host as the night crosses over into the next day.

Total Wallet Damage:
I can't remember. I just remembered the cakes costing RM13 each. I also remembered that their coffee price was a wee bit on the higher side like inside a shopping mall too.

Final Verdict:
6.5/10. The ambiance is great. The place is spacious the cakes above average. It's just that I wish the coffee to produced a more stronger coffee taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment