Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mm Cafe, Happy Mansion, Section 17, Petaling Jaya (PJ), Selangor

Address:
AG1, Happy Mansion, Jalan 17/13, Section 17, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
Daily, 11am - 10pm

Time Visited:
Around 1pm, Monday afternoon 

Attire worn:
Business

Item(s) Ordered (Photos taken as inconspicuous as possible with my phone):
Mille Crepe with Bamboo Charcoal and a Flat White
After my stint at Jeq in the House, I decided to go for one more place to try their coffee and cakes since I wanna make full use of my time out of the office and so I simply traveled around to spot some cafes to try and finally ended up at Mm Cafe.

Fresh out of ideas and since this is a near option, that's where I headed to before my departure back to the office. Mm Cafe is in a hidden part of Happy Mansion where it faces the bushes and the car park right at the other end of the entrance. You will not see it if you're just passing by without entering the specific block of this Happy Mansion. Anyway, from the exterior, it looks okay with some office executives chilling outside at the al fresco area chit chatting and having a smoke whilst consuming some lunch and coffee. I entered inside and there were quite a number of patrons there having their lunch and am surprise by it because it is after all at a hidden area. But it was lunch time. The place indoors were cooled by the air conditioning units adequately and since I already had my lunch and a dessert earlier, I decided to just had a cake and a coffee as my second dessert. Wakakaka.

Inside Mm Cafe, it seems a little bit cramped with the tables catering mostly for big groups of people thus leaving a small pathway for walking. I sat myself down and they brought me the menu. The menu merely helped me on deciding what to drink but since cakes weren't a part of the menu, I would need to look at the display case to get an idea on what I wanted to try. I soon decided upon the Mille Crepe with Bamboo Charcoal after already ordered my Flat White.

It took quite a modest waiting time period until they came with my orders. The Flat White coffee has a weak attempt at coffee art and I wondered why they even bothered. Just smear it in at the right amount and leave it alone. It did come pleasantly with a Chocolate Chip Cookie which is rarely served at cafes. The coffee though had a strong coffee sensation and was forcefully bitter even with the milk in it and tasted merely average. However, the plus point about it was that it only costs RM8.90 a cup. But then again, if I wanted a superb cup of coffee for a low price, I can only think of Sudo Brew as the place to get it.

The Mille Crepe with Bamboo Charcoal was not something pleasant to look at, a mere black and white contrasting layers with spots of black on a sheet of white on top. Upon cutting through the Mille Crepe, I find that the texture was a bit too harsh for a Mille Crepe. The middle layer portion seems to be of a stronger layer alike the top and bottom. The texture - coarse and unrefined, a little like paper. The taste were barren and hardly had any sort of sweetness nor interesting taste, just a spoonful of dull and senseless cream. I've been told that won the Best Brownie award on Star newspaper. I can't comprehend how that is so with this kind of Mille Crepe material.

Anyway, an interesting fact cropped up during my dining experience there. One of the staff there seems to be a person I used to know a long long time ago when I was working at a cybercafe nearby. Every morning, I would go to this Chinese hawker restaurant and have my usual toast bread and tea for breakfast and this guy was one of the 2 persons manning the place. It got to the point where I don't even need to order anymore. I would just sit myself down and when the main guy sees me, he would know what I want with just a hand signal. Can't believe that I still recognize this guy after so many years. He's a foreigner but speaks good Cantonese which is mighty impressive.

After finishing my cake and coffee, I depart back to my office satisfied that I made full use of the day's time.

Total Wallet Damage:
RM19.90. RM8.90 for the coffee and RM11 for the cake.

Final Verdict:
4/10. The only thing good about this place is that it's hidden and quiet so you can hide yourself from the known world and that the price of things are cheap. I hope their main dishes are something that are good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment